New project reel

Started by BMITCH, July 10, 2013, 09:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Ok, I had a chance to break down this reel this mourning. You guys were correct. Steel gears. I don't know why I don't just listen sometime. ::)

How it came in...

Side plate off...

Drag and gears broken down...

And finally the chrome supports...

As you can see in the last pic. There are some corrosion issues on the supports. I'm wondering if there were non-anniversary 114H reels out there that had these supports? This would give me something to look for to bring this back to original condition. Then the next question is do you put SS sleeve and CF washers into a reel that is not going to be fished?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

Bob, that's a nice reel. If I wasn't going to fish it, I wouldn't spend the money.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Cone on July 11, 2013, 12:52:24 PM
Bob, that's a nice reel. If I wasn't going to fish it, I wouldn't spend the money.  Bob

It is what it is. I would clean it up as much as possible, lightly lube, maybe protection grease it and button it back up being careful with the screws. As far as making it pristeen, I might, or might not, get new replacements for the corroded parts. :-\

My 2 cents.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

john2244

Bob,

In your search for chrome spacer bars let me know if you find more than one set.  I have a couple of the 6/0 anniversary reels, one is new but the back of a spacer bar in the other reel has some corrosion.  I have been looking for awhile now with nothing showing up.  If I find more than one set I will let you know.

John

Alto Mare

You guys are stepping into my territory ;D. I've been looking for a long time, I have a couple that could use them, no luck yet.
Last year someone contacted me, he had two brand new sets in the box.  I could have purchased a new reel for what he was asking  :-\ .
Those are not easy to find.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Oh oh , why do I feel like I'm in the shark tank? :D IF  I find more than one set then I'll let you guys know. Obviously this was a weak point on these reels. I just hope we don't start bidding against each other if they show up. ;)
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

RowdyW

Hey Bob, I'm in line to behind John & Sal.  ;D         Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on July 11, 2013, 05:20:07 PM
Hey Bob, I'm in line to behind John & Sal.  ;D         Rudy
;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Sal,
If I find a set it will go to you.  The spacer bar on my second reel is not too bad.

John

Alto Mare

John, I thank you but no, I wouldn't be able to accept them. We're all in this together.
Sal

Joel.B

114hl on ebay right now- looks to be mismatched, chrome bars but nothing else looks right

oops, not ebay- craigslist, and I am not sure if the bars are chrome or just glare on black bars http://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/3916122923.html

double-oops, it's a 113hl,   I know I saw a 114hl w/chrome somewhere.....