New project reel

Started by BMITCH, July 10, 2013, 09:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Recently bought this 114HL. Need a little info if anyone has it. What's with the red spool? And where to get a burgundy side plate without the drag stack exposed?

luck is the residue of design.

BMITCH

Sorry second pic was wrong one from my photo bucket.

Brian A

looks like an anniversay model.   8)

mysticparts.com may have a sideplate.

aloha

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

Bob, don't do anything to that reel, put it on a shelf and shop for another.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

I agree with Sal, put it in your collection and find another one to fish with.  Anniversary reel from about 1982. 

John

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 10, 2013, 10:30:32 PM
Bob, don't do anything to that reel, put it on a shelf and shop for another.

X3
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

Didn't know when I was buying it that it was an anniversary type. When Sal, Rob and John chime in as such. Well...I guess this one is going to be a display reel. Now back to shopping a 114H to hopefully get a narrow kit to get the full house of narrows. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Bob

Cone

The red spool, and chrome spacer bars were on the anniversary reels. If your lucky the original gears are still in it. Penn advertised they were Stainless steel. I bought one a while back just like it. I should have kept it original but the spool went to a friend. I probably increased the value of yours.  ;D   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Yes it's nice to have friends ;). Thanks again Bob.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

I did crack it open. They are the brass type. You an tell this reel has never been opened befor. It pristine inside. Looks all original. When I get a chance I'll post more pics tomorrow.
Bob

Cone

Bob, I've bought a couple of anniversary reels and none of them had brass gears.  :(  My bet is someone changed them out. That's always a chance with a used reel.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

BMITCH

Bob, maybe I'm wrong? I'll investigate tomorrow and put it up to view.

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on July 11, 2013, 02:52:06 AM
I did crack it open. They are the brass type. You an tell this reel has never been opened befor. It pristine inside. Looks all original. When I get a chance I'll post more pics tomorrow.
Bob
Bob is right. It doesn't surprise me that someone swapt the gears, I've probably been talking too much around here :-\.
John is spot on, that reel is from 82, Penn 50th anniversary. The chromed bars only lasted two years, might be three I don't remember.
The reel came with the red spool and stainless steel gears. Still a nice reel ;).

Cone

Bob, If they are brass, I have a set out of an anniversary reel I'll send you. They are in a reel now but when the BP gears are here I'm going to swap them out.  Bob

BMITCH

Bob, thanks! All original is ALWAYS better. I'll let you know in the AM.
Bob