Why carbontex under main gear?

Started by basto, July 11, 2013, 04:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I'm going to give the Teflon a shot Bob. I've been using CF's exclusively, But I noticed on my Battle Weary 12/0. The stock red washer had the sleeve teeth wore into it. I was going to take a picture, but it disintegrated when I tried to remove it. Either way, its a disposable item. I just want to see the effects of the Teflon in the bigger senators when I put them through some punishment.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

This was my explanation from the Hex gears test:

As you can see, I  am using the original fiber washer for under the gear. Sorry guys, but for me this one is working out a little better than carbon fiber there, it might be the high settings Undecided, still, you use what works for you.
Lee, your metal washers and inserts look and performed great...excellent job on those  Wink.
Daron, I took a couple of shots, but this is the best, sorry

By the way John, the carbon washer for under the gear gave no drag when all the hex washers failed on  one of my previous test. Those are more for smoothness than drag numbers, that's my take on it anyway.
Daron, to me the red fiber washers are working best, but the fiber washer will also work. They do get worn.... just like anything else.
Just my two cents, as stated above, use what works for you.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Frank

I've tried the teflon washers under the gear on Jigmasters and Squidders and found no real benefit over the red fiber washers. After a season of diamond jigging bass and bluefish they had the same sleeve teeth impressions as the red fiber washers and became somewhat distorted. However they did not become brittle and crumble when you removed them from the sleeve like the fiber ones do.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Alto Mare

I'm ok with teeth impression as long as they don't tear apart. The red do get dry after some time, but they do last for quite a while.
This is why we experiment....
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Obviously it's a matter of preference and confidence in what your going to use. And for that matter size(OD). The real question I have does one material excel as far as drag is concerned. We are in these reels a lot, so changing out the washer is really not all that difficult. But this washer definetly has SOME effect on the drag. So has anyone done a drag test using the different materials? Just a thought.
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

If the OD of the CF under washer is the same diameter as the root diameter of the ratchet teeth on the gear sleeve you eliminate the possibility of AR dog interaction.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Quote from: Keta on February 05, 2014, 03:03:01 PM
If the OD of the CF under washer is the same diameter as the root diameter of the ratchet teeth on the gear sleeve you eliminate the possibility of AR dog interaction.

My point exactly lee!

Bryan Young

Newell original 4-stack drag system was proably the best design to demonstrate the benefits of using an under gear drag washer.  the undergear drag washer was the same as what was used in the gear stack, and separated a drag plate on the gear sleeve and the main gear.  it allowed another drag surface to increase the drag numbers slightly (3# or so).  This was my convincing reason as to why I use CF for under the main gear. 

I think Delrin and CF combo would be a good fit. Delrin is a bearing material that can take a lot of abuse while maintaining form.  I would place this between the gear sleeve and the under gear CF washer.  The problem is I don't know where to find this material in the thickness that I want.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Bryan, I assume your talking about the Newell main gears that do not have the recess in them to fit in the under gear washer? Right? If so wouldn't that cause a spacing problem with the drag stack and the side plate? And if not there, wouldn't possibly cause a gear mesh problem with the main and pinion? Just a thought.

Frank

Bryan is talking about this sleeve and the gear that accompanies it has a recess in it for a drag washer:
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

maxpowers

I was wondering for the smaller reels like the jigmaster and up to the 4/0 or so, if we could use one of Bryan's super thin washer and thin cf to replicate the Newell's system?  It should cut down on the issue the chewed up drag.

Newell Nut

I have done this exact thing on some of my Newells and it works perfectly. I actually bond one of Bryan's thin washers to the sprocket with Acraglas gel that is used to bed rifle actions. I then use the .5mm CF with Cals and a 5 stack in the gear which gives me a 6 stack drag in my Newell 300s and they are very smooth as well as strong. They pull 32 lb of drag and I fish them around 20.
I have also done this on my 500 series and 600 series.

Tunacious

I use Bryan's 5-stack inside my main gear on my Newell P series (original 4-stack models). I then use a standard size HT-100 in the recessed area underneath the main gear - thus giving me a true 6-stack system...no worries. Don't know how many lbs of drag I get...I'll test them eventually.

Bryan Young

Yes to all about the Newell 4-stack system.

Tunalicious, a new carbontex under gear washer is coming your way. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tunacious