Raptor vs Non-Raptor Questions

Started by mahfudzmn, July 11, 2013, 05:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan.han

Quote from: mahfudzmn on July 13, 2013, 07:58:07 PM
Jon, if it's not much to ask for could you please upload a photo of your purple turn pink avet?

I  don't like to publicly humiliate myself. Keep in mind that this reels has been with me for about 5 years. Since then, it has accumulated over 500 days on the water. I don't know how much you intend to use your reel, but you really shouldn't see this in your use. I have a serious problem. I have fishing dependency issues. Currently, I have a few reels at Alan's house since they have been abused since I serviced them last year and a Revo Inshore that I neglected for 2 years. Don't tell anyone, but I fished it for 2 years out of the box! We can't all practice what we preach since the last thing I feel like doing is working on my own reels. But, overall they are in great shape.

As Alan always tells me, "The cobbler's children have no shoes." I allow a lot more neglect to occur to my reels since someone is not expecting pristine work but me. I will get a photo for you in the next few days since I am removing the bottom paint from my boat and will have to apply a barrier epoxy and bottom paint.
raw instinct

Bryan Young

Quote from: jonathan.han on July 14, 2013, 01:36:28 AM
Jon, if it's not much to ask for could you please upload a photo of your purple turn pink avet?
As Alan always tells me, "The cobbler's children have no shoes." I allow a lot more neglect to occur to my reels since someone is not expecting pristine work but me. I will get a photo for you in the next few days since I am removing the bottom paint from my boat and will have to apply a barrier epoxy and bottom paint.
Ain't that the fact.  I haven't touched my reels in 5 years, but don't fish anywhere near as much as Jonathan.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Quote from: jonathan.han on July 14, 2013, 01:36:28 AM

that, and "doctors make the worst patients."
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jonathan.han

Here are the pictures of the "pink" Avet SX:

I have had the reel since 2009 and it has seen about 300-400 days on the ocean. It has had more than a dozen bearings replaced and the "sacrificial anode" (aka the pinion bearing). Just finished servicing it. So, since the last overhaul last July, it only had a bad pinion and the two bearings supporting the handle were a little rough. I've been using a mixture of Corrosion-X and TSI for the spool bearings; just a dab of CX. So, my Pinkerton is ready, for some more fish..

raw instinct

LTM

Quote from: akfish on July 12, 2013, 06:03:46 PM
I've serviced hundreds of Avets, and have yet to have one come in with a failed anti-reverse. That is, not since they reworked the anti-reverse and did away with the original LX.  That reel did have serious AR problems. The AR being used in the HX and smaller Avets is unique as far as I can tell.

Hello gents,

I may have an original LX two-speed. I had no idea they changed anything in the design. So, what was the original problem with the AR, how do I determine if my LX has the issue, what's the fix and if Avet had/has a recall for this problem?  If there's a link to this issue please post.

Thanx,

Leo

Jeri

Hi All,

We have been slling and servicing Avets here in Namibia since 2006, and they have all been used and abused on the beach and in the surf, LX and MXL, and we have nver had an issue with any anti-reverse system. They are great reels, and if you don't exceed the recommended drag loading they work just fine.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Jeri

Shark Hunter

Jonathan,
I wouldn't care if my reel was pink with purple polka-dots. As long as it reels the Beast I'm fishing for. Maybe you could put a Breast Cancer awareness sticker or something on it and say it was a special edition. ;)
Any of you guys fish with an EXW-80 2 speed? I know this reel is a beast. big and heavy.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Jeri on October 01, 2013, 06:52:03 PM
we have nver had an issue with any anti-reverse system.

I've seen salt and other crud forced into the reels by rinsing them with a high pressure hose, this crud will build up around the AR dog causing the AR to fail.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: LTM on October 01, 2013, 06:22:09 PM

Hello gents,

I may have an original LX two-speed. I had no idea they changed anything in the design. So, what was the original problem with the AR, how do I determine if my LX has the issue, what's the fix and if Avet had/has a recall for this problem?  If there's a link to this issue please post.

Thanx,

Leo
i think the original design was a spring acuated dog or dogs and then change it to a silent one and my mxj sometimes misses because of this silent AR design (reason why i bought the makairas se). oh how i wished the spring actuated dogs are still available new. hard to find used ones.

Bunnlevel Sharker

If I had an avet besides my one it would be a purple hxw raptor, I tear up fragile stuff to easy though
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

mine are the JX raptor, because of the bigger spool bearings, the EX 30-2 and the T-Rex 50.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

jonathan.han

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 01, 2013, 08:29:04 PM
Jonathan,
I wouldn't care if my reel was pink with purple polka-dots. As long as it reels the Beast I'm fishing for. Maybe you could put a Breast Cancer awareness sticker or something on it and say it was a special edition. ;)

Honestly, I like the fact that it just keeps getting demasculinated while it just keeps doing what it was designed for.  :D
raw instinct

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

who cares about what other people think!!!!  :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: jonathan.han on October 03, 2013, 09:50:15 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 01, 2013, 08:29:04 PM
Jonathan,

Honestly, I like the fact that it just keeps getting demasculinated while it just keeps doing what it was designed for.  :D

-10 man card points ;D
Grayson Lanier