Raptor vs Non-Raptor Questions

Started by mahfudzmn, July 11, 2013, 05:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahfudzmn

Hi all! I'm hoping to get some insights on the raptor series of the Avet reels. I've already owned a JX 6/3 MC and I love it. Right now I'm shifting to deep sea jigging and we're heading to the South China Sea offshore Miri in Sarawak, Malaysia. From the words of friends I gathered info that I need at least 330yards of 40-50lb line with around 12-20lb drag. While the JX is already suitable for the trip, because it's my first trip of such technical fishing I wanted something lighter than the JX I already owned so I'm looking at the SX Raptor because of it's huge drag for a small reel. Or maybe the MXJ Raptor? It's also a good point to bring extra reels right?

Question is I've read so many opinions on the unreliable pinion bearing on the Avet reels that when you exceed the recommended drag poundage, the bearing breaks.

Q1: Do they use different bearing on the Raptor series compared to the normal series? Because it looks like the drag on the SX Raptor is almost double compared to the SX alone.

Q2: Will it be safe if I stay within the designed drag rating?

Q3: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the drag rating says when it's free spool right? So that means if I pretension the cam to the point just before it loses free spool I would achieve the drag stated by Avet?

I'm yet to open up my JX to lube all the bearings and parts but will do so soon thanks to the many great tutorials here.

Show me some love, I'm all ears!

akfish

The Raptor reels have a different drag system so it is very, very rare to have a problem with the pinion bearing. If it were me, I'd stick with a JX Raptor, not an SX or MX, because of line capacity. Once you use up half your line -- as you will with an SX -- the drag increases dramatically. The JX Raptor is a versatile and, in my opinion, very light to fish.

The maximum drag ratings on Avet reels are estimated such that you still have free spool. But personally, I would be reluctant to push a standard JX to 20#; that's not a problem with a JX Raptor.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mahfudzmn

Thanks, I actually made a comparison of the gears my friends are using in the Spinning class and they all weigh just about the same as the JX 6/3 I have, so the only way around it is I have to shape up to build the stamina for the 4-day trip.

If however, the SX or MXJ Raptor version is sufficient line-capacity wise would you still advise getting the JX Raptor instead?

Thanks again for your thought, I sure would love to hear more from the people here. I'm not very experienced but I really like the Avet reels so I'm narrowing my search just for this brand.

Nuvole

I've a Raptor HX that have yet to touch water. Reason which is that it have only one dog. I've since stick to my good old Penn int'l.

mahfudzmn

Thanks Nuvole, now that you said that I took a look at Penn Torque 2 speeds. The reel that fits my wanting is the TRQ25NLD2...that reel does look pretty sweet and its got comparable stopping power with the JX Raptor, only it is $60 more than the Avet. It is a sound advice though about the double dog...

A question to you Alan since you see a lot of reels, and to the other Avet users: Have anyone busted their single dog mechanism on your Avet reels? Just curious, your answers may help me decide between the JX or the Torque.

Cheers!

Bryan Young

I personally have not had one reel in for service were the dog was damaged or needed replacing. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jonathan.han

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 11, 2013, 07:32:38 PM
I personally have not had one reel in for service were the dog was damaged or needed replacing. 

Though many will point out flaws in the Avets, their one shining star that no one denies is their bulletproof AR system. The other shining star is that they provide purple as an optional color. Purple disturbs people. Alan is always shaking his head when I service my purple Avet and purple ProGear ???
raw instinct

Nuvole

Thanks for the info mate, I now have more confident with the single dog and will use it for my next offshore trip instead of my 16vsx.

Bryan Young

Quote from: jonathan.han on July 12, 2013, 08:17:50 AM

Though many will point out flaws in the Avets, their one shining star that no one denies is their bulletproof AR system. The other shining star is that they provide purple as an optional color. Purple disturbs people. Alan is always shaking his head when I service my purple Avet and purple ProGear ???

Jonathan, it's because your purple reels are faded and looks pink or lavenderish color.  It's hard to look manly fishing with those colors. ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nuvole

Quote from: mahfudzmn on July 11, 2013, 06:35:33 PM
Thanks Nuvole, now that you said that I took a look at Penn Torque 2 speeds. The reel that fits my wanting is the TRQ25NLD2...that reel does look pretty sweet and its got comparable stopping power with the JX Raptor, only it is $60 more than the Avet. It is a sound advice though about the double dog...

A question to you Alan since you see a lot of reels, and to the other Avet users: Have anyone busted their single dog mechanism on your Avet reels? Just curious, your answers may help me decide between the JX or the Torque.

Cheers!

Depending on your purpose mate, if you are casting then Avet with some cast control will cut down bird nest.
For bottom fishing or trolling(esp. trolling), I always prefer reel with two dogs.

akfish

I've serviced hundreds of Avets, and have yet to have one come in with a failed anti-reverse. That is, not since they reworked the anti-reverse and did away with the original LX.  That reel did have serious AR problems. The AR being used in the HX and smaller Avets is unique as far as I can tell.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

jonathan.han

Quote from: akfish on July 12, 2013, 06:03:46 PM
I've serviced hundreds of Avets, and have yet to have one come in with a failed anti-reverse. That is, not since they reworked the anti-reverse and did away with the original LX.  That reel did have serious AR problems. The AR being used in the HX and smaller Avets is unique as far as I can tell.

The old AR system was just a catcher's mitt for rust and would corrode those bearing that supported the driveshaft. Came up with all kinds of ways to get those bearings out. I just apply surgical brute force to them now.
raw instinct

jonathan.han

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 12, 2013, 04:04:47 PM
Quote from: jonathan.han on July 12, 2013, 08:17:50 AM

Jonathan, it's because your purple reels are faded and looks pink or lavenderish color.  It's hard to look manly fishing with those colors. ;D

The Avet looks pink, the ProGear is not pink! It's still as robust a purple as the day it was made. Really wish Avet would step up their anodizing so that it would help me save face. It's getting light pink now :(  I may just take Krylon to it at this point. I really don't want to buy a new one just because of the fading. I guess I need to replace it for something else. I guess that's why Avet came out with pink. I wonder what color that'll fade into. The salt has just eroded the anodizing away except when I get inside. I used to put Rain-X on my reels, but that became a tedious task to do all the time, so it faded pretty bad now.

raw instinct

mahfudzmn

Jonathan, I wanted to get a purple one too but not after people said it fades to pink! Probably will choose gunmetal or blue.

Thanks for the assurance on the AR system and thanks for the great info! I'm definitely buying the JX Raptor once the trip in September is confirmed.

mahfudzmn

Jon, if it's not much to ask for could you please upload a photo of your purple turn pink avet?