Daiwa Saltist LD50H

Started by ctan1968, July 12, 2013, 01:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctan1968

Hi all,

Is it a recommendation to pull one open when bought brand new?
I heard the 6 bearings need to be re-packed etc.

Thank you

Chris

alantani

chris, these are tough to work on.  jim nomura works on these and he has an incredible amount of patience. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ctan1968

So is it OK to use these reels straight out of the box without further lubrication?

I think my TLD 20 and 25 pushed me to the limit with reel servicing.  These Daiwa's sound tricky.

Thanks in advance

Chris

jonathan.han

Quote from: ctan1968 on July 12, 2013, 07:44:56 AM
So is it OK to use these reels straight out of the box without further lubrication?

I think my TLD 20 and 25 pushed me to the limit with reel servicing.  These Daiwa's sound tricky.

Thanks in advance

Chris

I fished my 30LD out of the box a total of 4 trips. I brought it home and decided to service it. Every single bearing was roached. There's around 5 to 7. Since then, I spoke with a Daiwa pro-staffer Roderick Lee to tell him about my experience with these. He told me about the new magnetic oil they released at iCast a few years back and etc., etc. Since then, they've done a better job on greasing them and the bearings are holding up a bit better, but the salt accumulation on the internal surfaces/parts and lack of drag grease is still a concern. I'd service it just to protect your investment.

There is a trick in putting the AR ratchet back in place as you place the right sideplate back on and I believe the nut retaining the main gear is counter threaded, I think-not entirely sure now. I bought one when they first came out and decided that they were as Alan put it,"An Avet copy". Though they are light and do have satisfactory drag performance, I opted not buy another. However, a friend of mine bought 7 of them for commercial rod and reel, so I got very intimate with them :'(. If you have issues when servicing it, you can always send it to Jim in a ziploc bag
raw instinct

ctan1968

Thank you for the reply Jonothon.

Would it be true to say that the LD50H would be identical inside to the LD20H?  The reason I ask is because if I had to take it apart, I have got something to refer to (Alan Tani has the rebuild tutorial on a 20).

Would you recommend taking all shields off the bearings and keeping them open but fully greased?

Thank you

Chris

jonathan.han

It depends on what you're doing. Pack full grease on every bearing with the shields on except the spool bearings. Make sure you wipe off excess grease from the drag surface to prevent contact with the drag plate. For the spool bearings, if you're flylining live bait, I'd use TSi or Corrosion-X/TSI mixture. If you're just dropping deep or trolling offshore, I like marine grease and Corrosion-X mixture since I don't like waiting for the offering to drop or slide back. I want it there now. The mixture cuts the viscosity down to a manageable level.
raw instinct