Penn 113/4/0 with black side plates

Started by Shark Hunter, July 12, 2013, 05:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Try it like Sal said but install the spacer sleeve & star wheel slightly snug before flipping it over.  Or slip a piece of rubber hose on the sleeve to hold it together during assembly.

George4741

Daron,
Try assembling the bridge, main gear, drags, star, and handle without installing them in the sideplate. Then hold the main gear and turn the handle.  That way, you should be able to see what is causing the problem.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Good thinking George.
I haven't been rebuilding any reels as of lately, trying to get all the Tank parts together.
I had the pinion upside down! >:(
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 12, 2013, 05:01:21 PM
I have never even considered a 4/0 until I saw Dominick catch a 150lb Marlin with the Tank.
My son got a 4/0 on a St Croix rod that somebody put out in their garbage.
I have two 113h's now. One is the Tank and the other is a nice half frame.
After some research, I realize the 4/0 black does not use the same drags as the 113h and was having a hard time finding a drag kit for it.
I got on scotts website and ordered the parts to make it a 5 stack. Mo called me this morning and informed me that a 5 stack won't work in this reel and that a extra drag washer under the sleeve will not work either because the dog would ride on it. Is all this true? :-\
Hey Sharkey:  As far as catching a fairly large striped marlin you must give due consideration to the man behind the reel.  ;)
A 4/0 and St. Croix rod out of the garbage wow!  Good price.  If you have the time to canvass the neighborhood get me one, I'll pay the shipping.  :D
If Mo says it will not work, it won't work. 
Then again it depends on how much time and money you want to put in it, you can make anything work.  Get yourself a 113h with the red plates and make a tank.  You will be very satisfied.  It was great fun working that fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Its in the works Dominick!
I finally have all the parts I need for the tank. Thanks to Alan T. Dawn, Lee and Scotts BT.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Its possible the last eared washer slipped out of the gear. I have that happen to me many times.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

As "they" say, "a day late & a dollar short" whoever "they" are.    Rudy   ;D ;D

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Quote from: Pescachaser on July 22, 2013, 05:40:43 PM
Hey Sharkey:  As far as catching a fairly large striped marlin you must give due consideration to the man behind the reel.  ;)
Then again it depends on how much time and money you want to put in it, you can make anything work.  Get yourself a 113h with the red plates and make a tank.  You will be very satisfied.  It was great fun working that fish.  Dominick

Disregard Dominick ;) and fish your black 113 HARD.  Show these guys that you don't need a "tank".  I would show them myself, but it will be a while before I get out on the salt chuck, again.

This may not be an M-1 tank (like Sal's 113H) but it is at least a Sherman tank.  113 narrowed with a Newell reel foot and bars, ss gear sleeve, steel gears, 1+5 drags, and I've since installed a larger Kolekar handle.  I just need to double dog it and maybe install some faster Longbeach 66 gears.  

viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

That is mine with the exception of 66 bars and gears and Alan's crank arm. Absolutely love this reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Me and my son are headed to Pensacola in Sept. to catch some sharks. His only rod is that 4/0. I am sure He is going to give it a workout. I am bringing the Heavy Artillery. 14/0,12/0,9/0 and 6/0. Spooled with 130lb mono and 100lb braid on the 9 and 6. Hope to have some pictures when I get back. Pensacola is the Shark Hotspot in Florida. I think its time for the Penns to Shine. ;D
I finally broke down and bought me a Kayak too.
Life is Good!

Nismoron

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 13, 2013, 04:06:42 PM

I guess if you can remember all the drugs and side affects for each drug, reels and parts is easy.

There's side effects?  :-O