Penn 113/4/0 with black side plates

Started by Shark Hunter, July 12, 2013, 05:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I have never even considered a 4/0 until I saw Dominick catch a 150lb Marlin with the Tank.
My son got a 4/0 on a St Croix rod that somebody put out in their garbage.
I have two 113h's now. One is the Tank and the other is a nice half frame.
After some research, I realize the 4/0 black does not use the same drags as the 113h and was having a hard time finding a drag kit for it.
I got on scotts website and ordered the parts to make it a 5 stack. Mo called me this morning and informed me that a 5 stack won't work in this reel and that a extra drag washer under the sleeve will not work either because the dog would ride on it. Is all this true? :-\
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

That is certainatly not true. I have a 5 stack in my grouper special. You need to use 140 grags, wich are the same size but thinner. Their are several tutorials on here about it.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

I've changed out all Penn 113s (black side plates) with a 5 stack system.  Use carbontex washer for under the gear because it's more durable than the HT-100 at that location.  It's can be done, but I don't know what parts are needed.  I pull it out of a bin of HT-100 and metal drag washers.  Sorry. 

Unless someone knows the part numbers, I'll piece together a kit for you if you send me the main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Thats what I was afraid of. I thought scotts would be more knowledgable on this.
You have a part number for the 140 drags and washers Ron?
Life is Good!

RowdyW

SH, you need 5 of 6-60 HT-100 CF washers & 1 extra eared & 1 extra D washer. Scott's has them.     Rudy

Shark Hunter

Evidently Mo saw this post and made it right.
Thanks Mo! Appreciate it! ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

I knew Mo knew it could be done.  She is one sharp lady.  I bet she was getting ready to go fishing for the weekend.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Thank You Bryan!
You are always there when I need you. Thanks buddy. ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

No probs.  The problem is unless you actually sit down with the reel and have a bin of metal drag washers and another bin of CF washers, all different sizes, it's hard to just look at part numbers and say yes...unless you are Alan that is   ;D

I guess if you can remember all the drugs and side affects for each drug, reels and parts is easy.

Ron Jones

Speaking of part numbers. Last night I realized that the 112H uses a 66 stand. This is important to me because I like grouper specials. The 66 stand is probably the weakest link in the Longbeach 66 reel but Newell aluminum stands are still around. Newell YTS stands are not so readily available, a Newelled 66 will be the exact same reel as a grouper special only with an open top.

ROn
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

I got the 5 stack for the 4/0 from Mo and slapped it together last night. I have taken it back apart 4 times and it seems no matter how tight you crank the star down, I hardly have any drag?
You can still turn the spool by hand pretty easily. What am I doing wrong guys?
I noticed there was an extra thin washer, like a small Belleville on the very top of the stack. I tried it with and without, put the thick Belleville under the star. Same results.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

SH, is the last eared washer slipping out of the gear on assembly? Is the order of the stack correct?      Rudy

john2244

Daron,

Are you missing the spacer or is the spacer too short???

John

Shark Hunter

The reel worked fine before, when it had the original 3 stack.
The last eared washer looks good. It is still inside the main gear.
Fiber, slotted washer, fiber, eared washer, fiber, slotted washer, fiber, eared washer, fiber, slotted washer.
I put one of the old slotted washers on top of the stack thinking I need more length for the spacer to push on, now its rubbing the side plate.
I can feel the resistance when I crank down the star wheel, but the drag is so weak, it won't even turn the spool with the clicker on.
I thought I was past this stage. I rebuilt a 114h in 20 minutes before I started on this one.
I am sure it is something simple I am overlooking. I just haven't figured it out yet. :-\
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You'll get it figured out buddy ;).
Your configuration is right, the only thing I can think of is that the tension spring is bad. Do you have another laying around?
Also, when you set the bridge in place do it from the underside, keeping the plate up and then turn it around. Maybe one of the eared washer is getting out of place :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.