carbon fiber

Started by fishy76, July 13, 2013, 12:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishy76

HI Alan,

I see web sites advertising 7.6 ounce carbon fiber fabric.  Is this suitable for drag washers?  Or, is it too thin?
A huge difference between $15 a yard and $10 each drag washer.  Have you looked into alternative carbon fiber sources?

Fishy76

Alto Mare

Fishy, where did you see $10 per drag washer? Most washers that I purchase are around $1 each, that's a small price to pay for something that lasts a long long time.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishy76

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 13, 2013, 12:51:26 PM
Fishy, where did you see $10 per drag washer? Most washers that I purchase are around $1 each, that's a small price to pay for something that lasts a long long time.
Sal

Hey Sal,

Both Smoothdrag and E-Bay show the carbon drag washers for the Shumano Charter Special 2000 LD at $10 each.  I bought a few at that price, but have dozen reels to maintain.  Asked about the carbon fabric to get the price down.  New to the game and need to know .  .  .  Are you thinking the canvas drag washers?

Fishy76

Alto Mare

No Fishy, I was thinking Carbon Fiber. I didn't know you were talking about the Shimano Charter Special, yes those are costly, but they're fairly large.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishy76

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 13, 2013, 01:12:29 PM
No Fishy, I was thinking Carbon Fiber. I didn't know you were talking about the Shimano Charter Special, yes those are costly, but they're fairly large.

Hey Alto Mare,

Looks like you are much closer to striper fising than I usually am.  Where do you usually fish?

Alto Mare

No where at the moment :(. I didn't hit the water yet this year.
I usually fish the northern tip of the Chesapeake in early spring...catch and release.
By mid spring I fish southern Jersey, anywhere from AC to OC area.

TomT

I am not the one to answer your question, but I will try.   ;D   I believe the carbon fiber fabric is for uses other than drags for reels.  They also sell carbon fiber drag material online but is usually about $15-$20 for a 4 inch x 8 inch sheet.  Still cheaper than pre-cut drags, but you don't have to cut the drag washers and their is always some waste when cutting your own washers.  But if you are paying $10 per washer, you can live with a little waste.
Tom