my reef gear

Started by basto, July 14, 2013, 09:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys
My annual 7 day reef trip is coming up soon and just wanted to show my arsenal for this year.
We troll between reef stops for king mackeral, so my 113h with 40lb mono will be going.
We sometimes get the chance for a bit of high speed vertical jigging, so my Penn Torque200 will be good for that and a bit of bottom baiting with 50 lb braid.
My Jigging Master PE8 will be used in the deeper holes with 80 lb braid for the larger Red Emperor and the like.

Cheers, Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

broschro

Looks like a fine set of reels, I use my 113h narrow tank with the accurate 4:1 gears for vertical jigging and she performs flawlessly. Pulls up Cobia and 40# reef donkeys with ease.

redsetta

Great selection Basto - thanks for sharing.
Will look forward to a post-trip report and pics ;)
Best of luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

john2244

Nice set of fishing reels.  Thanks for posting.
John

basto

Thanks for the replies guys. I catch more fish in that week than I did in a year when I had my boats.I love those big boats and where they can take you. My back is a bit shot for the small boats now.
I`ll put up some pics after the trip.
Basto

broschro

Quote from: basto on July 15, 2013, 12:08:17 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I catch more fish in that week than I did in a year when I had my boats.I love those big boats and where they can take you. My back is a bit shot for the small boats now.
I`ll put up some pics after the trip.
Basto
sound's good! I would like to do a 48 hr trip to brake me in first ;D it's on my bucket list

josef23

The golden reef gear looks very wonderful and strong.

jig-guy

The reel with the colored line? Is the line braid? I am setting up a smaller 2 speed reel with colored braid so I can drop my shad heads and the plastic tailes I make down 100 feet off of San Diego when the captain see's fish at that depth under the boat(bluefin & yellowfin tuna). I want to uses the colored braid so I can put my jigs with swimbaits where the fish are at. Is the reel you show set up for the same thing?
Bill

Keta

Daiwa and JB make marked line, several of my reels have it on them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

BMITCH

Basto, really nice stuff! I have that JM PE8 on my wish list. Thanks for posting.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

raumati01

Quote from: jig-guy on August 08, 2013, 06:21:09 AM
The reel with the colored line? Is the line braid? I am setting up a smaller 2 speed reel with colored braid so I can drop my shad heads and the plastic tailes I make down 100 feet off of San Diego when the captain see's fish at that depth under the boat(bluefin & yellowfin tuna). I want to uses the colored braid so I can put my jigs with swimbaits where the fish are at. Is the reel you show set up for the same thing?
Bill

That's the way I jig, find the depth on the sounder and count off the colours until you get a bite. I good gps helps as you may have to have one or two gos to get your drift line right.

basto

Quote from: jig-guy on August 08, 2013, 06:21:09 AM
Bill
Yes, the braid is colour coded for depth indication, but I just liked the look of it and JIGMAN has a good reputation.

basto

Quote from: josef23 on August 02, 2013, 01:53:27 AM
The golden reef gear looks very wonderful and strong.
If you refer to the gold reel, that`s my straight from the box, tank.  It has proven very handy on the last 2 trips.
The 200 Torque comes standard with double dogs, stainless sleeve and yoke, ss gears, strong roller bearing and 32 pounds of drag.
It is a shame they discontinued it.