Cavalla 15II bearings

Started by Three se7ens, July 14, 2013, 11:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I have a Cavalla 15II and it appears I damaged the left side spool bearing last time I fished with it. I had the drag really locked down, and the reel performed fantastically against a 7' tiger shark. But the free spool wasn't as free after and there was more bearing noise. It's not a major issue yet, but I am looking for a better solution.

Are angular contact bearings available in 6x15x5?  I've looked a little, but the only thing I found so far was 6x17x6.  I have the capability to machine the spool, but I'm not sure there's enough meat in the side plate.

Also, a spool sleeve is on my to do list too.

alantani

chances are that you crushed the right main side plate bearing.  go ahead and pull it and see, and if it is damaged, just replace it with another standard ball bearing.  it sounds like you pushed the reel a little farther than you should have.  i think you might consider something with a little more umph.  it might, but i do not think an angular contact bearing will increase your drag range. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Three se7ens

Actually the right side plate bearing seems to have fared much better than the left spool bearing.  The left spool bearing also appears to be a deep groove bearing, so I'm a little surprised that's the one with more damage.

I think I'm going to replace them both anyways, and cut a bearing sleeve, and start saving up for a makaira...

Btw, when I tested the bare spool with just the 2 bearings and the shaft, I got 3 minutes of free spool. Putting pressure on the bearings drops the free spool down to 15 seconds.   But the freespool was never fantastic in this reel, so I think the damage is not as significant as the need for a spool sleeve.