113HLW Conversion

Started by Newell Nut, July 15, 2013, 10:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I am not sure what parts are interchangeable on Penns so here is my question. Can the 113HLW become the standard width 113 by interchanging the 113 spool, bars and base from Scott's?

RowdyW

As long as you use the parts from the 113H or HL. The regular 113 with black end plates is a different animal.    Rudy

Newell Nut

I should just stick with Newells I guess since I understand them inside and out.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 15, 2013, 12:54:27 PM
I should just stick with Newells I guess since I understand them inside and out.

Nah, you'll do fine. If you're not familiar with Penn's lettering system, here's a breakdown:

H = high speed
L = light weight [aluminum] spool
HL = both of the above [not used anymore]
LH = left hand
M = metal spool [usually a 3-piece affair w/chromed steel]
SP = special [spool made for wire-lining]
N = narrow [like the 113HN Baja Special]
W = wide spool
F = freshwater stand [the model 9 came with either a salt or fresh water stand]
2 or -2 = made in china :-\

That's all I can remember. As long as you remember the senators with an H are the high speed with ball bearings versions of the lower speed "plain" senators, you should be okay. Generally, high speed spools, side plates, and gears must be used together.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Newell Nut

Thanks for the info. I know more than I did yesterday already. I will have to study the schematics at Scott's.

alantani

what kind of spool did you want?  chrome over brass or anodized aluminum? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 15, 2013, 12:54:27 PM

My Newell's talk to me.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

When ever I get lonely I take one out of my desk and let it sing to me.

Alan,
I was brainstorming and dreaming up a project and don't really know what I want. I was just thinking of making the HLW a little narrower. Even at that it will not be as light as a Newell anyway. If you have some ideas that aren't too pricey toss them at me.

Norcal Pescador

If you just want a standard width 113HL, it's just a new spool, stand, and spacer bars (or frame). Pennparts/Scott's or fleabay will be the sources other than Alan.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

Newellnut. I'll give you a start. I've got a 113h graph frame your welcome to it. One of the inserts(helisert?) is pushed in. It's in one of the less critical areas, so it should hold up just fine. I can also locate the top cross brace. Your welcome to them. If your intrested pm me you address and I'll fire them out to you. I don't have a spool though. You can get one of those on eBay.

luck is the residue of design.

Ron Jones

I have bars, stand nd one piece brass spool I'd be willing to swap for. If your spool is aluminum I'd even sweeten the deal.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

fleabay? :D
Now that's Funny!
Life is Good!