Bridge post

Started by SeaDawg, July 15, 2013, 12:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaDawg

My buddy asked me to service at his 113h for him. Long story short, I disassembled the reel and found that the post the sleeve slides over on the bridge was loose. It actually spun freely and wobbled some. Never saw one do that before. There is very little "up  and down" play in it, but it certainly is not solid in the bridge as every other post is I have seen.

Is the bridge trash or will it operate properly in this condition...............(I hear you laughing) :)

My instincts were screaming at me to chuck it and replace it but I would be lying if I told you I knew why, other than the fact that it was lose, spinning, and had a little wobble. I mean once it is all put together and you tighten down on the drag all that play will be eliminated wouldn't it?

I replaced it, I would just like to know exactly why I guess :)

Thanks in advance.

Tight lines!

Harry
God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

Keta

Sometimes you can tighten the shaft by supporting the bridge and punching the backside several times with a center punch.  It will loosen up again and I usually replace the bridge.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

find some washers that fit over the post and slide them over the top, then put the post in a vise, upside down and clamp down over the post.  tap it down with a hammer and the clamp down on the vise.  now wail away with the hammer a couple of times to tighten up the post.  a couple of whacks should do it.  quick and easy.  it doesn't take much.  the stainless steel of the post is pretty soft. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SeaDawg

God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

Alto Mare

I'm going against the Master on this one ;D. My advice to you is not to waste your time and effort and get yourself a new bridge.
You might be able to make the loose post tight, but it won't last long.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jonathan.han

I've done it both ways. The vise technique works fine. If you're concerned about excess movement after install, you could always take a small punch and snug it up even more. The replace it with a new one works also. One costs about the price of a replacement bridge assembly (used or new) + shipping/etc. and the other takes less than 2 minutes.
raw instinct

Ron Jones

It takes less than two minutes if you have done it before, have access to everything you need at your fingertips and have mastered the skill sets to perform it. I have everything available, although I would have to figure out what exactly I need and how to rig it up, but I lack mastery of the specific skill sets so it may very well take me a half hour to destroy a bridge. I won't come across this enough to make it worth my while to master the skill sets so I'll replace the bridge.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

If you have access to a propane torch, I braze bridge shafts to the bridge plates. I first soak the bridge in a degreaser then clean with a de-oiler (DAWN, Simple green,...), then heat slowly to evaporate the cleaners by heating the bridge plate. Once dry and the remaining oils vaporize off, I braze the shaft from the outward facing side. The braze fills in the gaps and the I have not one come back as of yet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 16, 2013, 01:28:13 AM
I'm going against the Master on this one ;D. My advice to you is not to waste your time and effort and get yourself a new bridge.
You might be able to make the loose post tight, but it won't last long.
Sal

waste not, want not.....   ;D

Keta

Until Sal sent me some NEW ones I was repairing 349 bridges, now I don't have to....thanks again Sal.

I'll break out my silver solder and see how well it works on a bridge out of my scrap tub.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

I must agree with Sal here especially if it's for your buddy. Fit  him a new bridge and be 100% sure the job is right.

alantani

the next time you get one of these, try it out.  it works great!!!!!!