Power drivers

Started by BMITCH, July 16, 2013, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

It may have been covered here before, but what is everyone using for a power screwdriver on the reels. It's not that I'm lazy or anything, but I'm also thinking of something that can be used in my business. I'm not looking for tremendous torque or anything. I know there is NO substitute for hand feel. Particulary when your snugging up side cover screws. I'm just trying to see what's the pros and cons of what you all are using.
Thanks, bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Pros, I can take a part reels faster. Cons, not fast enough. Lol. No really, the thing is that you will still need your screwdrivers for areas that a power driver cannot get into.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Padre

Got a used Milwaukee off the big auction site for $20. Came with 2 batteries (both of which hold a charge) and works perfectly.

Bill B

I've been using these drivers...the top is an old (maybe 5 years old) Black and Decker with a cartridge type battery....I've burned/destroyed  two batteries with very little use...couldn't recommend it...the second is a Black and Decker Power Driver (again about 5 years old)....holds a good long charge and excellent torgue....I'm able to drive 3'' drywall screws into soft pine 2x4's...highly recommend it.....the bottom is a Craftsman Evolv...just got it yesterday...haven't been able to play with it much, but looks and feels promising.....by the way...the top B&D is not very friendly in the hand, but the middle B&D feels good and so does the Craftsman..the orange B&D has a pivoting handle which I find beneficial and the Craftsman does not, which may or may not be a liability I'll let you know....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

harryk3616

hi    bob     i picked up a rechargeable power screwdriver at harbor freight for  $9.99 ,   works great, has alot of torque, i try and stop before the screw goes all the way in, i take my finger off the trigger and it stops pretty quick, then i use a screwdriver to finish seating the screws, this way i don't ruin the slot and head of the screw.   harryk

Dominick

I'm a Milwaukee guy.  I use the torque setting to it's lightest setting.  When I am finished with the entire reel I go over it with a hand screwdriver to set the screws.  Also with the light setting I am able to vibrate screws to loosen corrosion.  After the reel and screws are soaked I put the power driver on it's lightest setting and tighten the screw, then loosen it.  The slipping clutch sets up a vibration that gets things moving.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BMITCH

All great suggestions guys. Thanks. Dominick, which model Milwaukee are you using? I like the idea of having a torque setting. I know about snugging down the last little bit by hand. Least you break off the screw :( then your drilling and tapping. Never any fun. :o
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

The power screwdriver does not have a model No. on it.  It is a 2 speed.  It must be 10 years old or more.  The first time I saw one it was being used to take my copy machine apart.  The copy machine mechanic had one.  I asked him to let me take out a couple of screws with it.  I was hooked.  I went to Sears and bought one that day.  I really like it.  It is powerful when torque is needed and gentle when ease is called for.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Padre

Not sure if Dominick and I have the same one, but they sound the same. Mine is a model 6539-1. 

Bill B

Update...used the Craftsman Evolv today...I could not consider it a heavy weight...it was able to unscrew  light screws but it is not real powerful....the B&D Power Driver has way more power..
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JGB

I use the newer updated Milwaukee 4v lithium screw driver 200/600 RPM model 0490-20 cost around $120 if you look. It is is about 30% longer and heavier than the nimh battery model, about twice as fast and has way more torque that you will ever need (can drive 1/4" lag bolts into fence posts). what i like about it is it's speed and auto shut off at torque. What it does is shuts off the moment it reaches the torque setting and locks the spindle so there is no over run or ratcheting. It comes with 2 batteries, fast charger and battery level indicators. The great part is the speed remains constant over the life of the battery charge. The bad part is heavier and longer and if you run at high speed and strip the head of the screw it will easily keep running and wear the screw head. So for worn heads with tight screws you need to be careful and keep good contact of the tool to the screw head.

Jim N.