114H full frame

Started by BMITCH, July 18, 2013, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Anyone have info on this reel? I know I can get the basic stuff from SB&T site, but any advantage/disadvantage to these full frame 114H's. I got it off eBay was looking to build a super tank but I'm kinda liking the full Penn frame. Only draw back I see is the cross bar on top. Any info is great.
Bob

luck is the residue of design.

TomT

Bob,
First it looks like you got a great buy.  The main complaint on the top cross bar that I've read about are from casters.  I have a bum shoulder and don't cast so not an issue for me.  ;)  I would think that the top bar should add more frame strength for a tank.  I have had about 6 or 7 reels with badly corroded side plate screws that would NOT come out with a screwdriver--had to slowly drill off  the heads of the screws.  They were all in aluminum frame reels.  I'm sure this is where Alan T came with the suggestion to use grease on all the screws.  Your side plate beauty rings only have 5 holes like the new Penns from China, but I think when you remove the side plates that there will be 8 holes in them and the ring just covers up 3 unused one.--Hope that makes sense.  I have no idea about the strength of the Penn aluminum frames compared to the Tiberon or Accurate frames but I would think what you have would be more than adequate.
TomT

Alto Mare

I agree with Tom on everything he said. The frame is pretty strong, the only issue that I've seen on those, again same as Tom mentioned, the screws were stuck in the frame. If you grease them up, you should be good.
I really like these reels, I mentioned it here on by last page:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3077.0
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

X3. It should reward you with good service.  8) 8)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

8 holes in the side plate and 5 in the frame? Hmmmm, what if you drill and tap the remaining 3 holes and use flush screws under the ring? ???

Slow and easy got those screws out. And a little liquid wrench ;)

BMITCH

Other side NP at all. Minimal corrosion. Looks almost like this has never been serviced and not fished hard for sure. I think a good reel for double dogs and all the bling.

We will see what happens.

Alto Mare

Bob, I was hoping to see the same plates as mine. Here is a little info on those:
http://www.pennreels.com/sites/all/themes/penn/images/repairbulletin1.pdf
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Oh-no :o :o looks like I'll be paying an additional $22.75 from Scott's B&T for the side cover. This has tuned into an expensive project. 1st, I bought that anniversary reel and now this. I really hope those SS gears from BP come about. ::) thanks for the heads up Sal.
Bob

BMITCH

Make that two side covers...I just checked my 114HLW and this also has the plate that is suspect. Oh well, all in good time.  :P

Alto Mare

Bob, I just wanted to point that out to you. By the way, one of my 113H Has the same plates as those and I did not notice any issues with them:-\.
The good thing about those is that you could install the second dog in less than 5 minutes.

BMITCH

Sal, I'm going to double dog them and fish them the way they are. IF it becomes an issue I'll get the newer plates from Scott's. Thanks again for pointing that out. You really know your stuff,
Bob

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on July 19, 2013, 09:38:54 AM
Oh-no :o :o looks like I'll be paying an additional $22.75 from Scott's B&T for the side cover. This has tuned into an expensive project. 1st, I bought that anniversary reel and now this. I really hope those SS gears from BP come about. ::) thanks for the heads up Sal.
Bob

If you are patent you can pick up side plate on e-bay for less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-6-0-Senator-114H-Right-Side-Plate-Ring-FREE-SHIPPING-IN-USA-/400528190160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d41572ad0
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Thanks lee, I saw that. It's cracked though :-[ I'll keep watching. Ive got time now so I will keep searching.
Bob

Bryan Young

Here's my double dogged 114H that I posted previously.  I just cannot find it, so here's the pics.

Same sideplates as what you have.  It's installed in a Penn 114H with solid aluminum half frame.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Lee, already had it in my watch list. Thanks.

Bryan, if you follow the link up top that Sal posted. They say that the plate is suspect under load/stress. I have no doubt that I will almost certainly NOT push it to that limit....but? So if I can get the side plate that is compression molded vs injection molded at the right $then I'll jump on it. For the time being thanks for posting the pic's. These im hearing are a lot easier to dremmel out. Run these side plates until a "deal" comes along. I've got some Time to search it out.
Bob