Penn 16/0

Started by Shark Hunter, July 19, 2013, 04:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I just want you guys to know.
I just went through an ordeal with an early 16/0 on ebay. It is a very early model with a 3 piece spool. It is warped. Don't buy it. The sellers name is thatcherseller.
I sent it back for a refund and he has it up for sale again.
Life is Good!

George4741

Hmmm, he says it is in "good spinning order". ???
As always, buyer beware on ebay.  Buying an inexpensive jigmaster and having to fix it up, not so bad. Getting an expensive 16/0 that requires some costly replacement parts, VERY BAD! 
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

I sold this reel to John2244. It felt good until he cleaned all the old grease out. Then it sounded like a thrashing machine. :-\
Life is Good!

john2244

The left side of the spool does spin fine but the right side is warped.  When spinning the spool and tilting the reel to the right you can hear the inside of the spool rubbing on the plate.  At least that is what I think it is rubbing against. Also when spinning the spool and looking at the spool's right edge you can quickly see how badly that side is warped. I just looked at the Ebay posting and I am surprised at the sellers comment regarding the spool being  in "good spinning order".  If the new buyer cares about the spool spinning true he will also return it the seller.

John

Makule

Unfortunately, those spools cannot be repaired.

I sell a lot of stuff on Ebay (mostly plants) and try to represent what I sell to the best of my ability.  Some sellers are careless, others are ripoffs.  The feedback ratings used to be more accurate than they are now, so even that can be misleading.  Still, always good to look at those before buying, and to see if there are any negatives, what those were about.  Some negatives are simply nonsense.  Others are legit.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Cortez_Conversions

I feel for you Shark hunter,

I too got the dry rub on a 16/0 one piece spool. It was listed as NOS, but once i got it in hand I could clearly see that it was indeed used. There is minimal brassing in spots, and you could see where he had polished out some light corrosion where line had been.
There was also drama about him wanting me to send funds via "friends and family" on Paypal.
He took over two weeks to ship, because in his words" he stayed in the Keys to party a bit longer..."
Yeah, on the money I sent him!
In all, it was a good condition spool, but was not what I paid for....

It seems that right now those reels are the big money on Ebay, and is bringing out the scammers.
Live and learn I guess?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

RowdyW

Sometimes dealing on fleabay is not to bad, I bid on a 116L 12/0 all the way from Cypress that was listed as missing the handle and being sold as a parts reel. Shipping was high ($60) but I got it with a bid of $70. Took a month for it to get here. Replaced the sleeve & dog, serviced the reel, & put on a handle I had. It was to nice to be a parts reel. It is now one sweet reel & looks almost new. Its my first BIG reel & it was a great deal. Look out sharks here I come.         Rudy

Shark Hunter

I was watching that reel from Cypress. Waiting until payday and was going to snag it. Glad it worked out for you. As far as the 16 with the bad spool. I got my money back. I had the reel for over a month. He made it right. I guess he is just trying to sell it to someone who doesn't know better. :-\
Life is Good!