112H, 49 and 505 gear sleeves

Started by slgriffiths, March 02, 2010, 01:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slgriffiths

Hi guys, and Alan.
I'm considering upgrading the gear sleeve on my favourite go-to 112H reel, (already one of Alan's stainless ones) with a 505 sleeve, hoping for finer control of the drag.  It's not bad at the moment (actually, with greased drags it's great), but in theory, it seems better to have finer threads.  I may possibly do a 49 as well.
Before I do though, I just want to know whether the 505 gear sleeves with the fine thread are as strong as the coarse thread.  I would like to have the finer control of the finer thread, but I certainly don't want to strip the threads out of the brass star, if I get over-exuberant.
Does anyone have any ideas?  Stories to tell about stripped stars?  The theory gets way too complex for me, given that the thread form isn't a V-thread, so does anyone have practical experiences?
Simon.

Irish Jigger

I have been using the fine thread  505 gear sleeve (brass) and matching 505 star drag (brass) on my 112H Penns for a couple of years now with no issues. I do not over tighten the star drag as I am mainly fishing for docile bottom feeders where normal drag suffices. I really like the feel of the finer threads on the 505 assembly particularly as the star drag is much larger in diameter than the standard one.

alantani

you can swith them out it you wish.  actually, i can just trade you, but there is really not that big of a difference.  the fine threads are a little more of a concern, but i've never had them strip out.  honestly, i'd just leave them be.  i'd feel safer with the coarse thread sleeves. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

slgriffiths

Thank you Alan, and Irish Jigger.
Like yourself, Irish, most of my fishing is bottom fishing, and the sizes don't usually get too big, or belligerent.  And I usually set the drag with a spring balance, and leave it, so possibly there is no advantage in the finer control.  And as you said, Alan, and as I was a little worried about, the possibility of stripping a star is a bit worrying. 
But there's always the (outside) chance of a kingfish on the drop....
I will probably leave it for the 112H and 49, but I'll think about it for my 500 - lighter reel, with lower drag settings, and therefore stripping is not such a concern, but finer control is nicer.
Thanks for your input, guys!
Simon.