349H drag stack

Started by turboal, July 20, 2013, 04:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

what do i need to make a 4+1 or a 5+1 drag stack for a 349H ?
how do you identify a 349 from a 349H with out cracking it ?

john2244

If you do a search of "349" you will find a lot of info regarding the drag issue.  A Penn 349 has an approx gear ratio of 2.3:1 and a 349H has a gear ratio of 3.25:1.  The black side plate reel can either be a standard 349 or a 349H.  The "H" meaning it is the high speed geared reel. None of the reels have the "H" stamped on the side plate, it is only marked on the box. All of the Red side plate reels I have seen have always been the "H" model. I turn the handle around one time and count how many times the spool spins around to determine the gear ratio of any reel.  In a 349H reel the spool should spin around 3.25 times and in a 349 is should spin around  approx. 2.3 times.  
John

George4741

I've played around with several drag configurations in my 349H and finally settled on Smooth Drag's #46 carbontex washer.  You will need five of them.  The hole in the carbontex is too small for the gear sleeve, so you must enlarge it using a dremel, or some other suitable method.  I also placed a #12 carbontex under the main gear.  You will need another eared and keyed metal washer.  These are also available from Smoothdrag.

You mentioned a 1+4 drag stack.  Drags must be 1+3 or 1+5 configuration to properly function.    

Here is the thread of how I initially did a 1+3 drag stack in a 349H.  It will give you an idea of what is required.  
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3707.msg26505#msg26505

BTW welcome back, Turboal.  I hope you are doing well. 
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Quote from: turboal on July 20, 2013, 04:00:18 PM
how do you identify a 349 from a 349H with out cracking it ?

Remove the handle, the drag stack will come out of a 349, the eared washers hang up on the sideplate of a 349H.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

turboal

Feeling not to bad George, 3 operations  later. thought i would do a little reel upgrading
and maint on my gear while i am sitting around healing.