Differences between a 850ss and 8500ss

Started by raumati01, July 23, 2013, 08:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raumati01

I have both of these now and was wondering what the difference was internally between the reels? They appear to be very similar.
Cheers Andrew

Alto Mare

Internally, the 850ss and 8500ss are the same, the 750ss and 7500ss are also the same.
During the end of production, some might have the cast aluminum main gear instead of brass.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

raumati01

Thanks for that, I guess it means I have parts reel fir my 8500 now

Cone

There were some changes in the style of main gear. Here is a link explaining it. https://www.mysticparts.com/Repair/SS750and850gear.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

akfish

I believe that the 8500SS can be fished RH or LH by simply moving the handle, whereas the 850SS required a different handle post. Also, while they have the same gear ratios, the pinion and main gears are not interchangeable.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Quote from: akfish on July 23, 2013, 09:27:56 PM
I believe that the 8500SS can be fished RH or LH by simply moving the handle, whereas the 850SS required a different handle post. Also, while they have the same gear ratios, the pinion and main gears are not interchangeable.
You're right on the first part Bill. The pinion that comes with the new and older brass set will work on both, the pinion that comes with the cast aluminum main gear will not work with the brass main gear.

The older brass gears and the new style brass gear are exactly the same, with the exception of the left hand and right hand pivot. On the new style you can use left or right with the same pivot.
Rumati, the bottom line is that the inner parts on the 750, 7500, 850 and 8500 are the same. If you have a brass gear set or a cast aluminum set, you could use it on any of those.
Good luck.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

raumati01

Cheers guys, some good info there. Is anyone doing any upgrades for these spinners?
Cheers Andrew