114H gears

Started by BMITCH, July 24, 2013, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Wanting to know if anyone has seen or run into this problem before? I have a set of brass gears for the 114H in the center the bushing(I really don't know what to call it) is slightly higher than the bottom of the main gear. The steel gear next to it you may be able to see the bushing is slightly recessed.

It's only about 0.15mm higher than the main gear but I was wondering if this could cause the cf washer to deform when put under pressure? Is there a way to reduce the height of this inner bushing?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

It will deform the bottom CF washer and cause problems.  Is it recessed on the bottom or is the bushing too long?  If it's too long you can drive it back into place and using a flat surface and sand paper remove the excess material.  If it's just moved put a dab of super glue on the gear, bottom side, and push back into place.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I have seen this and have not seen any issues.  The CF washer will eventually wear away at that area or the CF washer will grinding down the plastic bushing, or both.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Bryan, that center bushing is plastic??

Bryan Young

I think it's made from a material similar to delrin...so yes, it's plastic.

Many plastics are used as bearing materials.  They are slippery enough and cheap and effective enough.  I have only worked on 3 reels where that bushing was either broken or just slipped out...and they were well used reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

For the life of me, I can't figure how are they holding the bushing in there. I see the contact points where it was piened. Is there a grove that is cut out and the bushing has a tab of some sort? Or is it purely squeezed in there?

RowdyW

Alto Mare

I"ve seen a few and they never gave me any problems. The easiest solution would be for you to open up the Id on the first Carbon Fiber washer, the rest would be fine.
I've never seen a plastic sleeve on the 4/0 and up, but I have seen them on the Jigmaster and smaller.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Man I hope Alan at BP gets hex gears to happen! ;D ;D

RowdyW

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 24, 2013, 10:04:33 PM

I've never seen a plastic sleeve on the 4/0 and up, but I have seen them on the Jigmaster and smaller.
I've got a fiber sleeve in my 116L main gear      Rudy

Alto Mare

How old is that gear Rudy?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 25, 2013, 12:16:17 AM
How old is that gear Rudy?
I don't know, it was the gear in the 12/0 that I got from Cypress. I had to pry the gear off the sleeve & when I did the bushing stayed on the sleeve. I pried it off the sleeve & pressed it back in with the back of a socket & a mallet. By the way it was a steel gear.        Rudy

Alto Mare

You're right Rudy, I would have never thought that it was plastic. I took a shot of a couple of gears, the ones with the black rings are plastic:

I'm not crazy about them, I wish they kept them in metal. Not really a problem though, I have made my own in the past for some 4/0's, it doesn't take much.

RowdyW

Mine wasn't black, it was the same brown color as the fiber under gear washer. It looked like it was made out of the same material. Its really tough material, tougher then plastic.

Alto Mare

As tough as it might be, it can't be as tough as a brass ring. I've replaced that brass ring a couple of times on 113H's, the wall on some was as thin as 1/16, there is stress there. I don't see why there is a need for that ring, from what I've learned, it's there just to make the gears quieter. I don't mind the clicking of dogs and gears, I actually enjoy it.
Sal