112h drag washers

Started by fishingzach, July 24, 2013, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishingzach

On my 112h the drag was nonexistent. It has been previously upgraded to a 3/0 wide with a newell aluminum spool(so im told). It wasnt quite freespool with full drag on, but it was pretty much as close as it could get. I took it apart (first reel ever to do so) and my gear sleeve has been upgraded to stainless steel, and it looked like my drag washers had no fiber left. They are smooth. Im guessing that is the only part that needs to be replaced. Do i need to replace the brass washers in between the drag washers? Please advise me as to what parts with part numbers that i will need, and if there is anything else i need to do since I am in there. I also do not know how to order the parts, so suggestions on that would be great too! By the way it is a 3 drag stack.

Thanks from a noobie reel fixer
Zach

Bryan Young

Zack,

Welcome to the reel side of life.  lol

You only need to replace the carbon fiber drag washers.  The brass metal washers are just fine.  Never had a problem with them being brass.

You will need four of 6-309 Washer, Drag, HT-100® ($1.25 each)

If you really want SS metal washers, order 6-309SP Kit, Drag Washers HT-100® with Metals ($6.65 for the set) plus one 6-309 Washer, Drag, HT-100® ($1.25 each)

from MysticParts.com

I also have a 5 +1 stack system if you are interested and need extra drag pressure for $28 shipping in the USA.

Most applications, the 3 stack will be fine though.

Good luck and welcome.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fishingzach

I ordered the washers, now im kinda interested in how much lbs of drag i can safely put on these. How about if I upgrade to a 5+1 stack how much lbs of drag. If i did that upgrade do i need to make modifications to the reel to make the more washers fit??

THanks again, im sure when i try to put this thing back together I will have more questions!

Zach

Bryan Young

Hi Zack,

look here for the 5 stack drag systems  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7568.0

If you do a 5 stack, I would highly recommend changed your gear sleeve to a SS one from MysticParts or Alan Tani.

The 112H consertatively is an 8-12# drag reel.  By putting in the 5 stack, you can easily bump up the drag to a consevative 15-18# of drag.  Note, both can do more but I'm only talking consertative numbers.  So if you need more drag, the 5 stack will give you more.

Being that the 112H is a 20# test line reel (where most us us fish 30# line), the max 8-12# is way more than sufficient.  It all comes down to how much drag you need.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I have the Newell Tuna Special (your reel is either a Tuna Special or a Bluefin special) I have loaded it with 65 pound braid and topped it with 60 mono using another drag system for this reel. Your Newell frame will handle the increased drag of whatever you want to do just fine.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7735.0
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

fishingzach

What would make it a tuna or bluefin special? Honestly I cant tell if the spool is wider or not, but obviously someone was in there and upgraded the sleeve to SS and the spool to aluminum(black) and i was told 3/0 wide. The spool is 2.5" wide and its circumference of the inner part(where line reels onto <maybe called the arbor>) is 1&13/16". If it is a tuna/bluefin special is that good does it make it worth more? whats the story on those?

Thanks!
Zach

fishingzach

Ok so I ordered the 3 ht-100 drag washers...Should i also replace the drag washer that sits under the main gear? It is smooth like the others as well. If I do need it is it the same washer as the other ones?

Thanks for everyones quick responses and help
Zach

Bryan Young

Quote from: fishingzach on July 26, 2013, 05:20:53 PM
Ok so I ordered the 3 ht-100 drag washers...Should i also replace the drag washer that sits under the main gear? It is smooth like the others as well. If I do need it is it the same washer as the other ones?

Thanks for everyones quick responses and help
Zach
Personally, I would.  You could use the same washer.  it's actually a smaller washer, I just could not remember the drag washer size.

Ron Jones

Newell made kits for the 112H that were standard width and two different wide versions. The wide kit, which is the same width as a 113H, is called the Tuna special; the widest, which is the same width as his Marlin Special, is called the Bluefin Special. I believe 2.5" is the standard 112H width. The wider ones are worth more money, $60.00 or so. If you could post a pick it would help.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"