Any interest in cast nets?

Started by Cone, July 24, 2013, 06:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

I have always made my own cast nets. I ordered some more material to make me another one. I was wondering if there was any interest in a tutorial on building a monofilament panel cast net. If so I can do one when I make this one. Otherwise I won't take the time or trouble.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

I've always wanted to learn.  I have one that my uncle gave me since it's illegal to use that opening size in Hawaii, but is legal for use in California...maybe I should take it fishing for squid and anchovies?

So, to answer your question, I'd love to see how it is made so that I may know if I should try or just hire you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Bryan, I started hand knitting them. Monofilament nets are better in every way. I'll never make one any other way. I'll probably have to do it in stages. Cutting out the panels. Sewing the panels together. Tying on the lead line. Brailing the net, etc. I just didn't want to go through the trouble if there wasn't any interest.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Keta

Do it, I'm always interested in learning something new.   I'd like to learn how to cast the one I have consistently.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

rjones

I would surely be interested in a tutorial on making cast nets.  I have mended several that other people left as unsalvageable but never made one from scratch.
Rob

Keta

I've patched subsistence gill and sein nets but never a cast net, how about a tutorial on that too?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Beings how cast netting on the Leeward side is really big, I'd love a tutorial.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Cone

I'll try to get started on it soon.  Bob

conchydong

Go for it. There are a lot of Florida guys on here and it would be great.

Alto Mare

Quote from: conchydong on July 24, 2013, 09:55:22 PM

Go for it. There are a lot of Florida guys on here and it would be great.
X2, I'm not a Floridian, I'm Italian and still want to see it .
Go for it Bob ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brendan

Are they even legal anymore? Especially in CA, seems like nothing else is.

Dominick

Hey Bob:  I think it would be great to see the process.  Go for it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Makule

I have made cast nets both, completely hand sewn and from panels.  Doing it from panels is definitely easier and faster.  I'm considering doing another one since the one I have is probably past the point of repair, and I'd like to see how you do it.  After the one I did from the panels, I decided to make some modifications but haven't tried it yet.  Where do you get your netting from?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Cone

Makule, I get my netting from Brunson Net company in Foley, Alabama. With fuel prices up, its cheaper most of the time to get it shipped. I ordered my netting today and expect it here tomorrow afternoon.
I was taught how to knit a net by a friend of my fathers. He was a coon ####  from La. I was probably 14 years old or so. for some reason he liked me. I spent many nights wading in the bay toting his fish sack because he waded so deep I couldn't throw mine. I've made changes to how I make my panel nets over the years. I will show how I make my personal nets. I don't wade much anymore so I will be building a brail or English style net instead of a bag or Spanish style net. Bob