Tica Dolphin Reels

Started by bouncr2, March 04, 2010, 12:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncr2

Hello Alan,

I have a Tica dolphin se10000 reel that I continually have an intermittent problem with the anti-reverse, I have taken it apart several times and put it back together, I see no wear but can't seem to get it to work perfectly, do you have any knowledge or experience with this reel. Thanks for your help.
Larry

bouncr2

If anybody has input please reply, thanks

BigT

I can't find schematics for this reel but does it have an 'anti-reverse' bearing. If it does, it's almost certainly that the bearing is overlubed... maybe some oil or grease is getting into the bearing from over-lubing the nearby parts.

As Alan will tell you and I know from growing experience, these bearings are a pain. We love them because it gives that silky, instant anti-reverse but they're almost designed to fail. If you don't lube them at all, they're prone to corrosion but lubing them increases the chance of them slipping and failing. They're also the weak point in many reels... often not up to the potential drag pressures that a reel could produce.

Start by cleaning out the anti-reverse bearing to get rid of any grease or oil, then at most just add no more than a film of grease to the pins and collar... enough to just see your fingerprint if you touch them. I use a Q-tip coated in grease but then 'dried off' with a clean rag first to get at the pins.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, BigT
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

bouncr2

Yes it does have a bearing, and I thinks thats whats wrong. I took it apart for another reason and before I put it all back together I cleaned everything. I lubed that bearing and greased the pins in the anti reverse mechanism. Are you saying I should remove that bearing and leave it dry??? Also as you stated a very little grease on the anti-reverse mechanism? If that is so critical what type of grease do you recommend?

Thanks for the info.

Larry

nook55

Get it as clean and dry as you can and then apply a drop or two of CorrosionX. Just enough to form a film to provide a corrosion barrier.

Nook

alantani

yeah, ditto on the corrosion x.  if the anti-reverse roller bearing fails once, will most certainly do so again.  you might be best order up a new roller bearing and inner tube. alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!