rod clamp stud broken in frame

Started by midcap, July 26, 2013, 04:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midcap

Just wanted to make sure before I go drilling and tapping the stud out of the frame that it is the proper way to repair the problem. I went to take off the reel clamp stud and with out putting much torque on the stud it broke off in the threads. I was planning on drilling it out try an easy out 1st and if that didn't work use a heli-coil. Any other advice?

Bryan Young

If you have a bit of screw sticking out, I use a dremel to cut a slot to use a small screw driver to work it out.  If that doesn't work, I drill a small hole as center as you can get on the screw that I can screw another screw in the center of it.  Then I screw in a screw and that sometimes works it way out.  if that doesn't work, then I heat and chill the frame then heat the frame again then try to screw the other screw.  it normally comes out by then.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

midcap

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 26, 2013, 04:09:29 PM
If you have a bit of screw sticking out, I use a dremel to cut a slot to use a small screw driver to work it out.  If that doesn't work, I drill a small hole as center as you can get on the screw that I can screw another screw in the center of it.  Then I screw in a screw and that sometimes works it way out.  if that doesn't work, then I heat and chill the frame then heat the frame again then try to screw the other screw.  it normally comes out by then.

good idea, I didn't think about using a screw to push it out, just a regular wood screw? How do you heat the frame, oven? at what temp?

midcap

well I managed to make even more work for myself. I drilled a hole into the broken stud then inserted a screw and tried to screw it out forward and then the screw broke inside the stud. I was able to drill around the stud with a small bit to then get the stud and broken screw out. It is off to the store tomorow to find a heli coil and see if a standard helicoil will be big enough to fill the hole. If it isn't I plan on taking a larger brass screw and then threading the hole bigger then drilling and tapping the brass screw for the new stud to screw into. I'll have it back in action either way. I will post some pics.

This is a good reminder to people to take the time and grease their reels up. A little grease from the previous owner could have saved me all this headache.

Keta

Brass and aluminum do not play together well when exposed to saltwater.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

Quote from: midcap on July 26, 2013, 04:06:15 PM
Just wanted to make sure before I go drilling and tapping the stud out of the frame that it is the proper way to repair the problem. I went to take off the reel clamp stud and with out putting much torque on the stud it broke off in the threads. I was planning on drilling it out try an easy out 1st and if that didn't work use a heli-coil. Any other advice?

if you find a good way to fix these, let me know.  i can tell you for sure that cussing at it does not work.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I have a 500 frame that someone gave me that was not drilled in the center and the stud is in the frame until the aluminum vaporizes.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain