Bellevilles

Started by turboal, July 26, 2013, 08:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

which add more drag ()() or ((() or ((()) or (()()) ? or how else to stack them for Penn reels. or do i need to add a shim /washer between ()I()

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

josa1

I was just tinkering with a Shimano 50W which had 6 washers arranged ()()() which gave 24 at strike and only 29-32 at full.  I tried a couple of different ways and found that adding a 7th washer and arranging them (())(() gave me more drag than I needed, 28 at strike, 46-48 at full while maintaining free spool.  After that I tried adding an 8th washer but I would have had to remove a spacing washer that was placed against the spool bearing in order to maintain free spool and I didn't want to do that.  It would be interesting to hear what results you get and I hope you post your findings.

josa1

turboal

Keta, if i do that the stack will be shorter in height the factory ()()  will i need to add another belleville
(())) to make it the same ?

what's the diff between (()) and ((()

Keta

(()) is 2 washers (( thick ((() is one washer ) thick.  (())) will work.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

the true answer is....it depends on how many belleville washers will fit and what is the thickness of each washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Quote from: turboal on July 26, 2013, 08:13:26 PM
which add more drag ()() or ((() or ((()) or (()()) ? or how else to stack them for Penn reels. or do i need to add a shim /washer between ()I()

If you are trying to stack them in a Senator it will not work.

Keta

I have been able to get 2 bellviles on Senators, ().  Sometimes under the side plate sometimes under the star (thanks again for the tip Bryan).

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on July 27, 2013, 12:46:19 AM
I have been able to get 2 bellviles on Senators, ().  Sometimes under the side plate sometimes under the star (thanks again for the tip Bryan).
You're welcome Lee.  We all have found little tips here and there. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Hi Lee, by the time I put all the new drags & washers into the reel I never have any room for extra washers, let alone two bellevilles facing each other. Even with the star backed off I usually still have a very slight drag, but not enough to worry about. The space it takes to put them () just isn't there. I haven't run into any reels with that much room yet.     Rudy    

Keta

I use super thin metal washers and .020 CF washers.

Mark Twain

RowdyW

Quote from: Keta on July 27, 2013, 01:04:41 AM
I use super thin metal washers and .020 CF washers.
OK, I have been using the stock thickness washers except in a couple of Sealine reels where its a tight squeeze changing from a 1+3 to a 1+5 .      Rudy

Alto Mare

Maybe you guys are talking about the Belleville on a floating spool, I never seen the Belleville facing each other on a Senator
I usually have the opposite, most time I need to shave the spacer to be able to back the star all the way.
On all  my reels, the spool doesn't move when in gear with the star backed all the way, that's the way I like them to be.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 27, 2013, 01:27:48 AM

On all  my reels, the spool doesn't move when in gear with the star backed all the way, that's the way I like them to be.

My personal Penn reels are set up with a small amount of pressure when the star is backed off all the way too.

Mark Twain

RowdyW

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 27, 2013, 01:27:48 AM
Maybe you guys are talking about the Belleville on a floating spool, I never seen the Belleville facing each other on a Senator
I usually have the opposite, most time I need to shave the spacer to be able to back the star all the way.

Sal, my sentiments exactly.  8)       Rudy