Penn 109 -- anything?

Started by Nismoron, July 26, 2013, 10:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nismoron

Is there anything that can be done to a penn 109?  I've got a mint condition one that I bought a few years back for no reason.  I was given one as a teen to go fishing with..  I was fishing in Perdido one day and laid the baited rod down.  The bait was in about 1 foot of water and about 3ft from shore.  Bait dangling in water.  I got through fishing with other rods and picked it up.  SOMETHING just about snatched the rod out of my hand.  It ran and peeled some drag, then broke all 4 screws on the reel seat!  Smashed the first guide on the rod and broke the line...  I'm guessing it was a big ray to be that shallow, and just sitting there with the bait for who knows how long.  I don't remember what ever happened to the reel.  But I got all nostalgic one day and bought one off Ebay for about $10 shipped.  It is in PERFECT museum quality condition.  After all these years, I figure that I might as well use it for something.  Are there any mods that can be done to make it better?  I'm really itching to mod something while I wait for the hex gears to become available for my 114h.

Ron Jones

If it is good shape I would just service it and fish it. Use HT-100 drags and you may want to upgrade to a jigmster power handle. If you are looking for free spool then ditch the level wind and lube the bushings with TSI 301. You can go way further than this but this will work great for this reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Nismoron

Cool.  yeah, I serviced it when I got it.  Looked new inside as well.  I would not be surprised if it had never been used.  I have heard that they make great salmon reels, but I do not live in the NW and there are no salmon here in the deep south...  Except at Winn Dixie.  haha

saltydog

They do make great catfish reels though.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Keta

At one time they were considered a good salmon reel, I prefer the Penn 10.  I have a friend that uses one for large Klamath Lake redband trout.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

It'll do good for big catfish and those lunker bass you all get down there. It will hold plenty of the size mono you need, that's for sure.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"