6500B binds up

Started by Blazer60, July 27, 2013, 09:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazer60

Every now and then my Shimano 6500B stiffens up and binds up on retrieve, I have to back it off and then try again to free it up.  Why would it do that?

Blazer60

alantani

uggghhhhh!   spinners!  first guess is that some bearings in your reel are starting to seize up.  these are always tough because there are so many things that can go wrong!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Yep..   Handle bearings or main shaft...
The "backing off to loosen" could mean Anti Reverse bearing full of gunk or build up??...
Either way I would go through 'all' the bearings (or replace), and clean it up inside...

There is also a reciprocating shaft that moves the spool up & down..
That gets gummed up and causes hard cranking also...
A basic good clean up and a few new bearings and it should be better then new!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

saltydog

I've got one and it would be just as Nessie Hunter said, clean them up and if that don't fix them, replace.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

conchydong

Here is the link for that reel to aid in disassembly. I own one of these and I don't service it as baitrunners are headaches. Like Alan says, get yourself lots of wine.     http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=995.0