Fort Morgan, AL 07/20/13... Hammer Time!

Started by ChileRelleno, July 27, 2013, 11:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

An absolutely beautiful day at the Point, good friends, scenery and fishing!
As usual for my son and I, we took the first ferry over and met up with Stacy & Adam for a day of sharking.
We were geared for the big boys and Adam had a yak for dropping baits and we proceeded to have some fun.
Several missed runs.
One really strong hook up/run cut off by either the bar or tail whip, which is good cause he would have spooled the Penn 8500ss he was attached to.
We also had some Specks, rays and other sharks, all of which made for a great day!

Catch Of The Day
Scalloped Hammerhead, adult male
8-9' TL, 6-7' FL
approx 200# +
Rod: Master Custom Striker, 80#, 6'6"
Reel: Penn Senator 6/0 114H
Caught on a whole mullet, Adam dropped the bait by kayak approx 150 yards offshore, in 20-25' of water.
Mr. Hammer dragged me about a quarter mile down the beach and took me just over 30min+ to beach.

Getting my harness on and did I ever need it, he wore me out.

Game On!

Adam, my friend & shark wrangler.

Finally beached

Happy!

Release

High Five!

Camp

Stacy's first Gator... Well first Speck at least... Congrats Stacy!

Atlantic Sharpnose

Today was such a beautiful day to enjoy God's creations and do a little fishing!
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Hey ChileRelleno, great report and photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

What a beautiful day and good times. Thanks for the nice pics.

Alto Mare

Very cool ChileRelleno, thanks for sharing.
Now go place an order on the Hexagon gears for that baby, it won't wear you out as much next time ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 28, 2013, 01:13:04 AM
Now go place an order on the Hexagon gears for that baby, it won't wear you out as much next time ;).
Sal
Hexagon gears, where?  Lead me to the promised land.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

alantani

nice!  is most shark fishing done "catch & release?"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 28, 2013, 01:32:12 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 28, 2013, 01:13:04 AM
Sal
Hexagon gears, where?  Lead me to the promised land.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7710.0;topicseen
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ChileRelleno

Quote from: alantani on July 29, 2013, 06:38:15 PM
nice!  is most shark fishing done "catch & release?"
The majority of sharkers I know practice CPR, Catch, Picture & Release.
Myself and others also participate in shark tagging for scientific research, http://na.nefsc.noaa.gov/sharks/tagging.html

Many of us, myself included, are not beyond keeping a smaller one for the BBQ once in awhile.
A fat 5' Blacktip makes for some nice steaks if slaughtered properly.
Ragnar Benson: