Avet SX6/4,my first lever drag/2 spd

Started by OutCast, March 05, 2010, 05:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OutCast

Alan,
1st off thanks for doing what you do.

Outta the box, It looks very well built. Reel oil included-no maintenance instructions :o Information booklet is very old data probably when they first started up and ordered way more than necessary due to low budget.
Have been reading lots of forums going back a few years, so I was aware of the binding issues. These didn't bother me much for the price and my intended use for the reel. After seeing your tear down and recommendations for the SX single speed, I committed to the purchase.
I did a quick break down to get to the drag washer and spool assembly bearings. I was surpised that the schematic was a little off, but workable none the less(another original production version). I was surprised to find a little grease on the drag washer :o and it appearred that all the moving parts that were removed to get to this point were lubricated. I was also surprised when the spool bearings weren't seated in the spool, is this normal? they almost seem to small, I expected to have to pry them out w/ slight pressure.
I won't have any Cal's or Corrosion X until next week, so I just re-assembled and reset the drag at strike to the factory 9# w/ freespool.
As a side note, yes the reel binds/turns harder at full drag. However, It only binds in the higher gear.
I only intend to use full drag if I'm gettin whooped early or need to turn a head while in the lower gear.

Thanks again,
Eric

alantani

hmmm....  how much grease was on the drag washer?  is avet greasing their drags now?  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

OutCast

Very little and perhaps it was from casting it a half dozen times.