Okuma Makaira cutting line?

Started by locknut, July 28, 2013, 09:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locknut

I am prepping gear to take to Fiji for a holiday yes I know not again and while stripping 10kg mono off a Makaira 20II so I can load 37kg braid on I found that the line at the bottom of the spool  was cut through in 6 or so places. These reels use a domed retaining pin in a recessed area of the spool to secure the line and it looks like the pressure of the compressed line has caused it to be cut on the pins head or the sharp edge of the recessed area of the spool. I wonder how far down in the spool I would have got fighting a fish before the whole lot would have started to slip? I might remove the pin and tape the spool for future use.

intili

The pin on my MAK15II sheared off when tying on the braid, Okuma sent me a new spool for free, but i am afraid the same thing will happen. I am running with no pin now, and 100# mono first wrap to all 100#braid fill.

Bryan Young

I would do what I do with all my reel spools...use FlexWrap, Co-Flex, CoBan,...  what ever they call it to cover the pin area first, then add line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

locknut

Thanks guys I agree, I have also had pins pull out while tying on line so I think that tape is the answer here.

UKChris

You are not tying the line to the pin are you? That will certainly pull out the pin.

Tie the line around the spool core with a clove hitch, carried round till you can tie the end of the line to the main running line. Use a Grinner knot. Then, by working the clove hitch around so that one loop of the hitch is either side of the pin, the pin picks up the 'crossover' part of the clove hitch as you start to wwind on the line. Tighten the knot down and the line will now wind up without ever slipping. Once all is tight, tape over the pin head to stop it cutting any line laid on top.