Monofilament and 10/0 reel post: problem?

Started by knife, July 30, 2013, 04:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knife

I ask this question with some uncertainty because today I drank a few glasses of chilled white wine too and I do not feel very shiny ....
I loaded my 10/0 with 900 meters of 50 pounds Ande monofilament.
The line now goes over the post but if the fish takes me more than 200-300 meters the line rubs against on the post.
Vice versa, if I let him out below the post I have the same problem immediately.
Is it normal ??

Thanks
knife

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I think you need more line on there. If it was me, I would go with at least 80LB Mono. I fish a 9/0 filled to the brim with 100lb Braid.
I fish 130Lb Mono on my 12/0 and 14/0. It doesn't hold as much, but you can lock it down without worries.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Line should go above the post. And yes, its a common problem. I've replaced a lot of posts due to line gouges on the post.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Nothing brings more pride than line gouges on the post and fore end!!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

If your not gouging the post your not fishing hard enough. ;D
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Makule

Only had the 12/0 go close to empty once, and don't recall the line rubbing on the cross member.  Of course, we were concentrating on what was pulling on the other end so I may not have noticed it.  Anyway, it ended in catastrophic failure of the brand new line breaking right at the rod tip, so maybe it got abraded as it rubbed on the cross member going out.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

UKChris

The position and design of the first rod guide (the stripper I think it is called in the US) can influence this a lot as can the flexibility of the blank between the reel and that first guide. If the guide is too low or the rod bends too much the line can rub the frame post when the line level gets low.

Basically, if you tie 10' of line to the empty reel hub and run it out through the guides, it ought not rub on the reel frame post at all, or you're kippered. You need to redesign the rod and/or guides.

If this is OK, take that bit of line and tie it to the top crossbar and see if it dips down into the first guide at too steep an angle. Again, if it does, you're kippered. It's why we have those big, stand-off double-roller jobbies on chair rods and heavy stand-up rods.

edit to add: Nice reel by the way - love the 10/0  :D

Shark Hunter

The big Winthrop rollers will help with this problem.
Life is Good!

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

This one is fairly inexpensive. 100 bucks. Its 5'6", rated at 100lb. ;D
It is a beauty! I have my P-60 extra wide on this bad boy! ;D
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Why would you put 50 on a 10/0 in the first place? I run 60 on my 9/0, if I had a 10/0 I would run a minimum of 80
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 31, 2013, 12:29:11 AM
I think you need more line on there. If it was me, I would go with at least 80LB Mono. I fish a 9/0 filled to the brim with 100lb Braid.
I fish 130Lb Mono on my 12/0 and 14/0. It doesn't hold as much, but you can lock it down without worries.
Great Minds think alike Grayson. ;D
That's a good looking 10/0 knife! You want to make a few bucks on it ole Buddy? ;D
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I'll trade you a 4/0 and a 750ss and a avet lx 8:1 for it if it has a one piece spool
Grayson Lanier

UKChris

Yes, Winthrop guides are nice.

Another problem is with extra wide reels where the line can rub on the sides of roller guide frames - another point to watch. Again, if it does, you're kippered.

Such things lead to popped lines.