Daiwa AS7050 spinning reel

Started by Shark Hunter, July 30, 2013, 06:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I have a pair of Old Daiwa spinning reels. I bought these 25 years ago when I was in the Navy to fish the bay in San Diego. They are AS7050 models. One of them has a problem with the anti reverse. I saw something on Mikes reel repair that will fix the anti reverse problem on these reels.
Anyone deal with Mike's before? I can't find anything on the forums here about these.
I guess I should replace the drags too. I'll get some measurements this weekend and get with Dawn.
Life is Good!

philaroman

Mike's is OK for schematics & current/recent parts -- for vintage parts, they can be downright BRUTAL!  I looked up a spool assembly for the original Sustain & my jaw dropped -- they want close to $400, for a freakin' spool :o  eBay prices for a good, same-model, complete reel are well under $200

Looks like your Daiwa's are not Japanese, or even Thai, but Korean which are probably not highly prized. Keep an eye on eBay -- in time, you should be able to find a complete AS7050 without A/R issues, for less than a single vintage part from Mike's:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-DAIWA-AS7050-Saltwater-Spinning-Reel-Korea-made-for-parts-Repair-/310677873773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4855d8246d&nma=true&si=8Ej1rTxvR1nNZMrxiFLFDG9MboE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Meanwhile, I'd combine all the best parts from both reels into one & have a spare spool w/ different line...  also, you can probably replace bushing(s) in the "good" reel w/ bearing(s) from the "bad" one.

Shark Hunter

Thanks Phil,
I was looking to purchase a kit to fix the anti-reverse.. It is the weak link in these reels. Its only 10 bucks. ;D
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I just purchased a SK7050 off ebay for 20 bucks. It looks brand new, but the oscillating gear is busted. Looks like I'm going to cannibalize one of my old reels for parts since these gears are unobtanium.
I thought I had two AS7050's, I actually have a AS9050 and a AS7050. The 9050 is working fine.
I found a website called Dave's reel repair in Holiday, Florida. They have the oscillating gears listed. I shot them an email to make sure they were in stock, but nothing back yet.
I know these old reels aren't worth much, but I'm going to fish them. I've had them this long.
The SK model is made in Japan, not Korea. All three have the same oscillating gear.
Life is Good!