We don't need any stinking CF Drags!!!

Started by El Pescador, July 30, 2013, 10:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Reduce the limits on the purse seiners by 50% - that alone would help immensely!!!!

The productivity of the ocean is always our savior!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

ChileRelleno

Nice Pic and great video!

I was born-n-raised in San Diego.
Well I remember the Seiners lined up on Embarcadero and the stink of fish as the canneries spit out Starkist and others by the truckload.
Those seiners were beautiful pieces of art in their own right, with their sweeping lines and curves.
As a young man I worked as a deckhand for a tour boat/charter company on SD harbor, a good number of my coworkers/captains were old school Italian & Portuguese tuna fisherman.
A local bar we used to frequent, The Waterfront Bar & Grill (The first licensed bar in San Diego - liquor license #001), the walls were covered in old Tuna Fleet pics.
Several of the old guys I worked with were in those pics as young men in their prime, who could well have been in that video.

I've a couple of the barbless, feathered, squid jigs they used to fish like that with, and I'm happy to have them in my collection.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

floating doc

I remember seeing this video as a small child; probably about 6 or so. I remember it vividly. Thanks so much for posting it.
Central Florida

nelz

I hate seeing the resource raped like that. Reminds me of the indiscriminate slaughter of the Bison. It's amazing that the Tuna numbers have held up like they have, and not gone the way of the Bison too.

floating doc

Quote from: nelz on September 09, 2013, 09:49:52 PM
I hate seeing the resource raped like that. Reminds me of the indiscriminate slaughter of the Bison. It's amazing that the Tuna numbers have held up like they have, and not gone the way of the Bison too.

Compared to purse seining, that's a pretty benign form of commercial fishing. I doubt they could have that much effect on the resource.
Central Florida

Ron Jones

I cuncur,
The current harvest methods produce tens of times that much fish. The current population doesn't support that type of harvest because their aren't enough fish!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jonathan.han

That was all due to the needs of WWII. The canneries and fish stocks plummeted due to the needs of our servicemen. The seining of bait could be seen as a source of the issue, but everyone wants their bait tanks full for their trips. Ultimately, the purse seine operations for pelagic fish in Mexico and offshore are a huge problem. Seining for species at the upper end of the trophic level depletes the ecosystem of the massive amounts of lower trophic forage required to produce upper level trophic consumers.
raw instinct