What level line reel

Started by broschro, July 30, 2013, 11:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

would y'all recommend I get for my 8 yr old? Something that will hold a good amount of line and enough drag to pull up a 20# fish if need be. I want to get a level line reel so he doesn't have to concentrate on the line bunching up on him.  Jamie

RowdyW

Maybe a Penn 320 GT 2.

harryk3616

hi   broschro         i'm a penn guy,  a penn #9 is on the small end, a penn #209 is larger,  i don't know what the drag ratings are, i'm sure one of the members can fill you in on that.  you can get penn parts everywhere and the reels are relatively cheap, if anything bad happened to the reel or lost, it's not a big money purchase to fix or replace.    harryk

Bryan Young

Lever Drag - Shimano TR-1000 or TR-2000

Star Drag - Shimano TR-100 or TR-200
               Okuma CL200L or Catelina Level Wind
               Penn - 310GT or 320GT, 9M, 209M
               Daiwa - Sealine 27SH

Strongest, I would say the Daiwa Seline 27SH or Penn GTs

Lightest, Shimano TR-100

Easily fixed - Shimano, Penn and Daiwa.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: broschro on July 30, 2013, 11:57:08 PM
would y'all recommend I get for my 8 yr old? Something that will hold a good amount of line and enough drag to pull up a 20# fish if need be. I want to get a level line reel so he doesn't have to concentrate on the line bunching up on him.  Jamie

So far my ABU Alphmar has been a good reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I really don't think you can beat the 320GTi for your application. The nice thing is as he developes his technique you can build it into a fantastic all around reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

ambassaduer 5500.  it's a good kid sized reel.  a rod with a longer foregrip would be helpful, also. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I agree with the rod, Alan. I bought the girls the 30# Mariner boat rods, the butts are to long and the fore grips are to short. reversing the hypalon would actually make them just about right.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

ABU 5000,5500 or Penn 109,209 make good kids reels.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

Are you talking 20# test for 20# fish?  or maybe 10# test for 20# fish?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broschro

somthing that  could land a 20# fish.  309 any good?

Bryan Young

If you are using 10-12# test line, I would recommend an Abu 5500C3 or 6500C3 depending on how much line you need.

Fishnmike

I take a lot of kids fishing. I have everything from Calcutta 50's for kokes up to Calcutta 700s and Convector 30Ls for sturgeon. Anything over something the size of a Shimano Tekota 500 is tough for most kids. Have really good luck with Abu 6500s and Shimano Cardiff 400s. Put  a small power handle on them and they work well on salmon and even shark. The Tekota 300s and 500s work well too.

VW

Penn 309.  Same width as the 209 and about 0.5" larger in diameter.  Jigmaster/500 gears so more drag surface area.  They were available with SS spools if you can find one.

Penn210.  Same size as 209 but with 500 main gear.  It does have spool bearings instead of bushings.  Also available with SS spool.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Penn 9 with 50lb braid. That will whup some fish and be great size. Or an abu 6500 with the same line
Grayson Lanier