The Cocktails are Servered

Started by mrbrklyn, August 01, 2013, 01:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I essentially spent the entire day yesterday fishing.   In the Morning I hit the Flamingo III out of Knapp street in Brooklyn.  They are a straight jigging boat, which I spent about 2 weeks practicing before I went on this trip.  I learned that despite the best plans, I still can't seem to casr well and that 80 test braid on my Shimano Charter is not a good combination.  I still walked away with 4 decent cocktail blues and had the added bones of scoping out some local dolphins within eyes sight of the Verrazano Bridge.

I then hiked to Stella baits and tackle and ripped all the braid off my Charter and replaced it with 30 pound mono line.  I was hoping that would help the casting.  I then wandered down the the Marilyn Jean and threw my Blue fish in the Galley fridge, and had a sushi dinner from 4PM - 5PM with Sake ....

then headed out again at 7:30PM where we jigged more for Blues and strippers.   I took home another 4 blues, and lost a true monster at the rail, and 2 short Striped Bass that I returned to the water.  To my dismay, I've seemed to completely lost my ability to work with a mono line :(  And I'm come to learn that the high railing on the Marilyn Jean really makes it harder for me to cast.  I can't seem to get my elbows into the swing.  But, I keep practicing and trying.

So - anyway - still too many fish in the freezer

bluefish69

Mr Bklyn

You have to learn to THUMB the SPOOL. You will get less birds nests as you learn. When the boat is tied to the dock practice after the boat is washed, use a jig with no hook because there is a lot of junk on the bottom.

I was happy to meet you Tuesday

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.