Fishing in a Kayak

Started by mrbrklyn, August 01, 2013, 02:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I've learned that at Marine Park in Gateway National Park, that I can rent a Kayak for a day so that brings to mind the question... how does one fish in a kayak?

Kau Grown

I would use a rod and reel....... hehe nah jk. It all depends what type of fish you will catch there, different fish, different types of gear and bait. Try and search on youtube for kayak fishing, there are hundreds of videos and tutorials on kayak fishing and what you will need to fish off of a yak. Good luck and tight lines!
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

BMITCH

Best advice I can give you is to search out a guided trip. May be a bit pricey, but in the long run you'll gain a ton of knowledge. Most guided trips will have some kind of affiliation with a yak shop. So asking questions is really encouraged. I know of one guide out towards the Hampton Bays area . Something like Capt. Kayak. Maybe worth the small investment before taking the plunge. Just a thought.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Kau Grown on August 03, 2013, 03:42:30 AM
I would use a rod and reel....... hehe nah jk. It all depends what type of fish you will catch there, different fish, different types of gear and bait. Try and search on youtube for kayak fishing, there are hundreds of videos and tutorials on kayak fishing and what you will need to fish off of a yak. Good luck and tight lines!
Now that's Funny Rob! :D
I am sure you can give this guy more tips than that! You are a Kayaking Guru! ;D
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Look up milk crate rig, there quite useful
Grayson Lanier

Kau Grown

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 11, 2013, 01:56:20 AM
Quote from: Kau Grown on August 03, 2013, 03:42:30 AM
Now that's Funny Rob! :D
I am sure you can give this guy more tips than that! You are a Kayaking Guru! ;D

lol... I am willing to help anyone that needs to be pointed in the right direction, I'm really not selfish but my techniques, fishing style and tricks was earned from years of blood, sweat and tears bro... for me to pass it out willingly would be a little foolish of me. haha but I will try and help any angler so he can be successful on the water too.
aloha, rob

Bunnlevel Sharker

And keep every rod leashed when not holding it
Grayson Lanier

Steve-O

And the bucket and the crate and the paddle....and everything else you care not to lose overboard.

I have lost one rod and reel while trolling....fish struck...rod goes airborne and quickly dissappears at speed trailing a carp!

Other stuff i have also dropped and retrieved in clear or shallow water.

Fishing like no other way. Many Nantucket sleigh rides when you hook a big one.

Steve-O

That's where the sleighride comes in! That particular fish drug me 300 + yard. Half the time I was standing up! Then some "yahoo" on the shore yelled at no one in particular, after others exclaimed " Look at that guy being pulled by a fish!"  So he yells" THASS THE BIGGEST FISH I NEVER SEEN!!"  Was a few beers tipsy to boot.

About that time I locked the drag down tight, horsed the fish to the yak,netted said fish, and promptly paddled to the direction of the voice.

At the shore near a pier, I politely asked for a picture taker and handed her my camera.

THEN I lifted the net into the boat, extracted and hoisted the fish for all to see what had drug me around the lake. Screams, applause, gasps and praise......but NOTHING from the Yahoo......

All the kids wanted to keep it or at least pet it. One kid wanted to ride it. Lol!

A 40# striper would be the same only a longer, stronger,  faster ride and then much harder to bring aboard. If you keep them, then gaff it. If not, use forceps when you roll the fish belly up. Many will give up when you roll them over.  Just takes practice.

BTW..the net is custom made from a Cabelas telescopic trout net and a 30 inch deep mesh laundry bag and a length of latex tubing  and fiberglass arms to open and deepen the net for big fish.

Steve-O

Some shots showing the net, the boys who wanted the fish, and one pic taken by someone at the moment I was weighing a fish....a friend said Steve, what ARE you doing with that fish?!?  Weighing it was my reply.....he said ...oh is that what you're doin?.....looked like something else.....i slugged him and said Pervert!

Kau Grown

I love them sleigh rides!!! That's the best part of the fight! This guy gave me a 1.5 mile sleigh ride for about an hour!!! The crappy part about getting a ride out to open ocean is the paddle back in! lol

Ron Jones

Always love watching you videos!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"