yosemite - 7/27/13

Started by alantani, August 01, 2013, 07:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

if you've never been to yosemite before, you have to go!

i've been going with the the middle school group as a chaperone.  for the last three "challenge" hikes, my group has not made it to the top of yosemite falls.  we have only gone half way.  it's still pretty, but it's not the top.  this time was going to be different.

joy and christina stayed on the valley floor and followed the trails.  yumiko, allison and i headed up the yosemite falls trail.  it is a 5400 foot climb.  500 feet into the trail, i sent the kids ahead because i was getting pooped.  

by the time i got to the halfway point, i was having serious doubts.  

just past the halfway point, i was still looking at another 2500 feet and i was exhausted.  

another 2500 feet to go.

running out of water, but the kids have more.

now i am counting my steps.  

30 steps, then stop and rest.  

lots of chances to stop and take photos.  

pretty spectacular up here.

water's gone, 500 feet to go.

sitting on a rock, out of water, exhausted, and who should some bouncing down the hill, all smiles and energetic, but yumiko and allison.  with lots of water.  30 more minutes to the top.  

made it!

well, almost.  another hundred yard to the top of the falls.

i was cramping up pretty bad, but at least the down hill muscles are different from the uphill muscles.  a few more shots on the way down the hill.

and so ends yumiko's first visit to yosemite.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

It looks like you had a great time. How many days did it take you to get to the top?

My wife would have stayed at the bottom & waited for the pictures.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Wow, I'd better do that before I get too old.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

4 hours to the top.  my legs were jello at the end.  one of the toughest things i've done in a long time.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TomT

Brings back memories!!  Been a long time since I was there.  Probably could not make the hike now.  It's great that you spend quality time with your family. ;D
TomT

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Very nice Alan. That last picture should go on the wall. The fifth picture above reminds me of the seven pools of Hana.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Great report Alan.  Brings back great memories.  Once you get off the valley floor there is nothing like Yosemite.  I took my kids there many times when they were young.  Later remarried in the little chapel in the valley and did several extended back packing trips.  Always wanted to hike the John Muir trail but never did.  I still have all the back packing gear thinking, SOME DAY.  You have some great pics of Half Dome, try that hike next.  You will never forget it.

John

TomT

Very nice Alan. That last picture should go on the wall.

My vote for photo of the month!! :D
TomT

ossipeter

Thanks for sharing. I was there at my honeymoontravel. This Nationalpark is very great! One of the greatest! 

kmstorm64

Alan, go back in the winter.  Even better.  Also try the watch tower hike at Sequia-Kings Canyon NP further to the south, the view is un real
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Tightlines667

That trip has been on my bucket list for quite some time now.  I'm a bit jealous.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.