Kevlar Drags?

Started by Ken_D, August 02, 2013, 05:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Hi, Dawn. at the SOL forum where Alan sometimes posts, a fellow from the Balkans posted there, who is using kevlar fabric for drag washers.  Has that thought ever entered into your universe. A quick look at retail pricing is showing kevlar is not as spendy as carbon. It does seem to be harder to shape, tho. Cheers, KD.

Robert Janssen

Ken, kevlar has some properties (primarily wear and abrasion resistance) that suggest it would be suitable as a friction material for reel drags. However, my testing several years ago (i didn't bother to post at SOL) showed a marked reduction (a lot. Like, half) of friction with increase in temperature. Fade, in other words. So, i found it less suitable for that reason alone. It was very smooth at all temperature ranges though.

Really, to the best of my knowledge, and to the end of testing idontknowhowmany materials, there is nothing better than the CF products what we are using now, and which Dawn already has.

Onward and upward though... Maybe someday something phenomenal may be found.

YMMV.

Ken_D

There you go, then. Thanks.... I too have been just fine with the carbon cloth. Cheers, KD.