penn 309 about 25yrs old

Started by lumberjack, August 02, 2013, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack

I have a penn 309 level wind and this is the 1st problem I have had with it after about 25 yrs !!  When I release the eccentric lever , and then go to lock it in , my handle will turn freely backwards also. It will not lock in. It just free spools in both directions. 
Im new to this site , so I hope I am explaining myself clear.
I really enjoyed your rebuild sections. 
To make a long story short, I took one of my Penn reels apart, and when I opened it up, I had all kind of spring , washers, screws and whatever else fell out.
I went on line and found Alan's rebuild on a Penn reel.  I spent the whole afternoon just trying to figure out how to put all of this back together. 
I finally got it and surprised myself.  So thank you Alan for that Post.
I did not take this reel apart yet,  just want to know if you would have any idea what I should look for?
thanks and keep up the good work.
Ken

saltydog

Sounds as if your dog spring either came out or deteriorated.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

akfish

There is a chance too that the sideplate  chipped inside and won't hold the dog spring. Let's hope not; new side plates are a different color!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

saltydog

If the sideplate is chipped you could shim the cracked place with some aluminum can and wala you have the spring retained again.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

lumberjack

Quote from: lumberjack on August 02, 2013, 07:57:43 PM
I have a penn 309 level wind and this is the 1st problem I have had with it after about 25 yrs !!  When I release the eccentric lever , and then go to lock it in , my handle will turn freely backwards also. It will not lock in. It just free spools in both directions. 
Im new to this site , so I hope I am explaining myself clear.
I really enjoyed your rebuild sections. 
To make a long story short, I took one of my Penn reels apart, and when I opened it up, I had all kind of spring , washers, screws and whatever else fell out.
I went on line and found Alan's rebuild on a Penn reel.  I spent the whole afternoon just trying to figure out how to put all of this back together. 
I finally got it and surprised myself.  So thank you Alan for that Post.
I did not take this reel apart yet,  just want to know if you would have any idea what I should look for?
thanks and keep up the good work.
Ken
I took the real apart and put it back together twice. It still goes backwards. I found the dog spring witch is about 5/8 inches long.  I know 2 of the bridge screws or longer, could that have anything to do with the reel not locking in?  The eccentric leaver works fine , and the pinion gear goes in and out.  No gears broken either , I checked them and that all looks ok.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated. 
thnaks

Bryan Young

Can you post a picture of the way the dog is sitting in the reel?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

lumberjack

Quote from: saltydog on August 02, 2013, 08:05:04 PM
Sounds as if your dog spring either came out or deteriorated.
Salty Dog ,
You hit the nail on the head.  I opened it up again at lunch today , and found the spring is bent and looks very tired , after all this real is all original and is at least 25-30yrs old.  Never has been repaired.
Not bad.   It just hasn't had a lot of use.  Sat most of its life.
I guess I need to find out how to order parts on this site?  New to the site , and really enjoy all of the feed back and help the yaw'll give not only to me , but to everyone.
Keep up the good work.
thnaks

lumberjack

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 07, 2013, 07:42:41 PM
Can you post a picture of the way the dog is sitting in the reel?
Bryan
you are right .  I took it down at lunch and reversed the dog, and put it back together .
It worked correctly for the most part , but my spring is bent , and just old, so it doesn't lock as it should , but is locking now.
thanks for your help , and will have to order a new dog spring

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: lumberjack on August 08, 2013, 07:19:50 PM
I guess I need to find out how to order parts on this site?  

The spring is part #14-99 and you can get one here,
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn309M.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I just read a recent fishing excursion where a guy caught a 10' Hammerhead from shore using a 309.
Is this possible? ???
There was a picture of the fish, but no reel.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Anything is possible, I'd guess it depends on how the reel is set up and what the rest of the gear was.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Chris Gatorfan

SH i know the post your talking about, its on PFF. And i can vouch for the catch of that hammer on the 309 as the Guy that caught it is one of my sharking buddies. What saved him on the hammer was that for what ever reason the hammer swam towards shore instead of out to sea. Several hammers had been hooked and lost that day and we believe this was one of them because of the lack of fight this one put up.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

The one I saw was on SOS. Probably the same thing. Is He a Band Teacher?
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I think he got it to swim to the beach, that fish was near death when he got it in ill bet.
Grayson Lanier