113hlw spins backwards sometimes.

Started by sunburnt, August 04, 2013, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburnt

Hi I'm new to using these reels. I bought one used from a guy and it worked fine the first couple times I used it. Now when I throw out the pole and reel it in to pick up the slack it sometimes will not catch and spin backwards. Sometimes it will do this sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will do this at different times when I'm reeling. Is this something I can fix myself or should I take it in to somebody.

If I can do it myself what part(s) do u think I need.

Thanks.

akfish

The anti-reverse is not working. This is probably a very simple fix. If you are adept at working on your reels, you can pop it open and if if the dog spring has broken or slipped. That's a likely problem. While you are at it, you might want to replace the dog (15-113H) as well as the spring (14-99). As a possible short term fix, try backing off a half turn on the screw that holds the dog in place to see if this allows the spring to work more effectively. The screw you might loosen is the lower left insde screw when you are holding the reel so the handle is facing you.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

Welcome sunburnt.

As said above, your repair should be quite easy. A great first repair. Alan has a complete tutorial on the 113H (same reel mechanically,) follow it and you should be set.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Good advice from the guys, that would be the first place to look, but sometimes it could also be something else. :-\.
Open that baby up, and if you're not sure, try taking some pictures. Good luck!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Could also be grease build up on the the dog. 

Look at http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.0 to help guide the way.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Never had that happen before. I am curious to see what you find. Let us know.
Hopefully it is just a dog problem. Watch out for that little spring that keeps the pressure on the dog, they are easy to lose. I lost one in the garage last week. Went off into oblivion.
Some grease on it will help. that way if it goes flying, with luck it will stick to you somewhere. ;D
Life is Good!

Cone

There's also a possibility the dog is upside down.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Whats the deal with that reel sunburnt?
Have you figured it out yet?
Life is Good!