Okuma Cavalla 20II spd hard to crank.

Started by gstours, August 05, 2013, 04:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hello ; as stated the reel is a Okuma Cavalla 20 IIspd. and heres the story.  I got the reel used, looked almost new so I filled it with fishing line. and was exited to go fish it, as I used the reel it seemed to me thay it was harder to crank in line empty(no fish or load) than other 2 speed reels I have.....so it bugged me, and I took it apart and stripped out the grease , used a gun oil , rubbed the drag washer dry,clean and the disk, reassembled it and its not any better, just seems harder to crank, like somethings dragging or causing friction or rubbing.......there is good free spool, the drag seems smooth and adjustable, its only when its in gear with 10-20# at strike position that its harder to crank than I like........also the more drag setting it becomes a tiny bit harder to crank.....The handle and gears are seem to turn fine with the right side plate off, ......anybody got any Ideas????????????thanks too........gstours

alantani

what kind of shape is the right main side plate bearing in?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JGB

Ditto

Check the right side plate pinion support bearing. For any pull bar lever drag with this issue always check the bearing and if not buttery smooth replace it.

Jim N.