penn 209 problems

Started by harryk3616, August 06, 2013, 12:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryk3616

hi    guy's      got a reel good one here for you.   i built two penn 209's yesterday, with various parts i had acquired on ebay etc.  both reels have a problem, when i tighten the screws on the reel stand, or front crossbar on the clicker side of the reel,  the reel binds and doesn't want to turn, each reel has different spools and when they bind, i have back and forth play in the spool, i loosened up the tension bearing on the worm gear, still the same. i losened the bearing under the handle still the same, i have done countless 209's and never had this problem,  put your thinking caps on and bail me out.   thanks   harryk

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

harryk3616

hi bryan      i really don't think so two different reels, two different spools

Keta

Back off the LW bearing and see if they are what's causing the problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

harryk3616

thanks  keta,    i'll try that again tomorrow, i believe i tried backing off both left and right bearings,  i'll try again,   thanks    harryk

Keta

Just the one with the spring under it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

harryk3616

keta.     ok   will do, thanks

akfish

Those spools warp very easily; in fact, when they first came out Penn included a note with the reel saying to remove the line at the end of the day so the mono would not put too much pressure on the spool. Really. It could also be the end bearings of LW bearing. The aluminum spools do not have this problem.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

harryk3616

hi  akfish            thanks for the help, i'll be checking out the spools later.   harryk

alantani

first guess is worn right and/or left side bushings.  it's a 26-209 and a 40-60.  i just checked and i am out of both. but that is where i would start first. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

harryk3616

hi  alan      thank you for responding and trying to help me out, by dumb luck i found the problem, i'll post it.   thanks   harryk