50's Vintage Penn 12/0 upgrades

Started by RockyMtnKurt, August 06, 2013, 04:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 07, 2013, 04:19:56 PM
You have those gears turning in my Head again Sal!
Since my trip to the gulf is less than two weeks away, I think I'll slap that 11 stack in one of my 12's before I go. That 28 lbs is some pretty respectable drag in that old 5 stack 12 of Kurt's. I won't have the advantage of chasing a Shark around in a boat and I need all the help I can get. :P
Do you have .75mm laminated washers? You will need to make your own, mine I already made, let me know if you need them and I'll send them over.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

No, I don't have those Sal. What do you mean by laminated?
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Kurt,
I would be careful testing that spool to its limits. I really think the three piece spool has a lot of hype associated with it.
It is interesting hearing the horror stories of the three piece spools. I am not willing to take that chance. I lost my butt on an Old 16/0 I got off ebay that had a three piece spool. It turned out to be warped. That was enough for me. I either sell them or throw them in the trash. I have a 12/0 three piece. You want it?
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 09, 2013, 07:57:27 PM
No, I don't have those Sal. What do you mean by laminated?
CF washers on the outside and plastic on the inside. Just like an oriole cookie, the only difference, you can't pull these apart to get to the icing in the middle ;)
I'll put them in the mail. I hope you have enough metal washers, if you don't get some from Scotts. You want the newer ss ones, the older washers are too thick.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RockyMtnKurt

Hey Shark Hunter, thanks for the offer, but I think one 12/0 3-piece spool is my limit for now. Of course, doesn't hurt to look I guess! What condition is it in and can you send a picture. I will have to negotiate something for the boss for another reel investment though, especially since "You already have one, what do you need another one for?" is the next phrase coming from her mouth. I'm hoping a possible tuna/marlin hunt maybe in the next 18 months or so, and I will probably be looking for an international to add to my reel pool for that. In the pool I do have a 50's vintage penn 49 I use in the high mountain lakes and reservoirs for trolling deep for lake trout out of my inflatable kayaks, works like a charm. I switched out the old drag washers for the new carbontex set, works smooth as silk. Nothing quite like yak trolling on a mountain lake staring at the top of a 14er, eating Orio's, listening to my favorite music and hooking an old timer laker...that is when they can be fooled (averaging about 1 big one per 7-8 trips lately).

Shark Hunter

I have plenty of washers and CF Drag discs Sal. Once again, you are teaching me new things.
Kurt, The spool is free. Just as long as you don't live on the other side of the world! Just IM me your address. Time to pay it forward, and you are the lucky winner! I will still send you a picture, I am at work right now.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Bunnlevel Sharker

Keep you rod at 1 o'clock max, don't high stick
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Here is the spool Kurt.
The Patina on it looks to be some light rust spots, not brassing. It should clean up nicely. Like I said, It yours if you want it.
Life is Good!

RockyMtnKurt

Daron, thanks, I'll take it. I'll e-mail my info shortly.

Shark Hunter

Give me a couple days Kurt, and I'll get that spool out to you.
Life is Good!

RockyMtnKurt

Does anybody have any suggestions for a reel cover bag for the penn 12/0 on the rod? All I can come up with so far is a camping small dutch oven bag which needs to be modified a bit to fit.

Alto Mare

Looks like you will need something custom made, I had this wonderful lady that made me some custom rod socks with  my choice of color, they were very reasonable and well made. Here is where I got them from, maybe you could ask if she'll make you something for that reel:
http://myworld.ebay.com/justincase_bags
Don't hold me to it, I haven't done business with this wonderful person for a couple of years, I'm not sure she's still making those.
Sal

RockyMtnKurt

Shark Hunter

Your spool is finally on the way Kurt. Enjoy Buddy! ;)
Life is Good!