50's Vintage Penn 12/0 upgrades

Started by RockyMtnKurt, August 06, 2013, 04:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockyMtnKurt

Thanks a lot, I'll be looking for it. You're pictures on the beach sharkin' make me long for my next trip to the gulf, hopefully in December. But, the bait fish could be long gone and the sharks will be sparse by then. Guess we'll have to go after trout and hunt some quackers, and maybe a little surfing as well.

Dynamo

Shucks, Shark Hunter, where'd you find such good deals! I got my 12/0 for 243 shipped and thought that was a steal.....By the way, Bunnlevel, If you don't mind switching reel companies, an Avet hxw sounds like it coud serve you well. Just under 30 lbs of drag, solid aluminum frame, SS gears, and you're pier fishing so sand invasion is no worries. The penn 4/0w is a great reel, for sure, but I've heard the wider frame can warp under too much pressure......

Bunnlevel Sharker

I adding an aluminum frame, and AVETS junk in my experience.
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 01, 2013, 12:37:15 AM
.....and AVETS junk in my experience.

I don't think so and I have landed a lot of large YFT on mine.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dynamo

Their customer service leaves a little to be desired at times, but all in all they put out an awesome product. I know they let you down with your LX, but give them a chance and you might be pleasantly suprised. Awesome Yellowfin< Keta! That's a monster!

Keta

These are 3 out of 5 over 200lbs, my largest (258lbs) is the top photo, one trip we were releasing anything under 160 and we were chunking 100lb fish for bait.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Nice Lee! Good to see you in action! Old Boy!!! ;D
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I should have specified Keta if someone handed me a big avet right now and told me it was mine I would love em forever, I've had a lot of problems with smaller ones the bearings really get me though. If I do get one it will be a t-Rex 30 or maybe hxw raptor, makairas comin first
Grayson Lanier

Tightlines667

I just finished servicing a pair of brand new T-Rx 50s, and loaded em with 600yds JB+100yds 300lb mono topshots.  These were my first Avets and overall I must say I was impressed with the overall design...duel drags, fail-proff dogs, simple/effective shifting mech...and with how they came from the factory..wet drag, greased internals, etc..  I would recommend them.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

If I could stop spending my money on Senators, I will pick one up. Which one would you recommend Lee? Straight up Sharking from the beach. Nothing else.
I am talking to just Lee here. He is a wise man! ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 01, 2013, 03:55:02 AM
If I could stop spending my money on Senators, I will pick one up. Which one would you recommend Lee? Straight up Sharking from the beach. Nothing else.
I'm not that familiar with your requirements but a guess would be a 50W, my Avet 50's are all the SDS topless narrow.

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 01, 2013, 03:01:44 AM
I should have specified Keta if someone handed me a big avet right now and told me it was mine I would love em forever, I've had a lot of problems with smaller ones the bearings really get me though. If I do get one it will be a t-Rex 30 or maybe hxw raptor, makairas comin first

Avet needs to do something about the smaller reel pinion bearings but if fished at or below their rating and maintained several times a season they work well.  Here's a nice YT I caught on a MX and 25lb.

Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 01, 2013, 03:55:02 AM
You need a 50w t-Rex! An 80 would be my guess for any reel the way you like to spool up
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

All I require Lee is a Reel with Crazy Drag that can stop the biggest sharks. I really don't think I can hang on to A T-Rex 80 for long with a Giant fish trying to pull me in!
I am Senator Savvy. Not so much with the Avet.
There is also The Everol. I think this reel is as bad as they get for catching giants.
Made in Italy, The Maserati of Reels.
I know these Avets are the newest thing. Being made in America is also a plus. I only want to buy one.
I just need the right one. I don't want to look back and say " I should have got the other one".
I guess I am just kidding myself here and know I won't be happy with anything less than the T-rex 80 two speed. EXW-80 two speed is where I'm leaning.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

If you have the cash, the Everol is in my opinion the most well made lever drag. No pesky preset, you know exactly how much drag you are putting on. The 12/0 model holds a little less than a Senator 14/0, and putts out 43 lbs of drag on the scale. lever gos a bit beyond that. Adding more springs to the drag setup can change the drag numbers from lbs to kilos. 43 would equal over ninety lbs! Plus they are really smooth and built to last, they are great for the sand, like Senator.

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 01, 2013, 04:54:12 AM
All I require Lee is a Reel with Crazy Drag that can stop the biggest sharks. I really don't think I can hang on to A T-Rex 80 for long with a Giant fish trying to pull me in!

I keep forgetting you guys can't use Spectra and need line capacity.  The T-Rex 80 can be fished at lower drags for shore based fishing unless you want to mount a fighting chair on your truck.  I haven't seen a Raptor or T-Rex yet.

Mark Twain