209 binding problem

Started by harryk3616, August 06, 2013, 10:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryk3616

209  problem fixed       hi guys, said to myself today,  self,  there ain't no reel gonna kick your ####,   so i took the penn 209 apart and inspected everything again for the 10th. time, gear assy. bearings, pinion etc etc and still couldn't find anything.   then looking at the left side plate that holds the idler gear and the brass gear that turns the worm gear back and forth, couldn't really see anything wrong there either.  so i tightened the reel stand and the cross bars because they were flapping in the breeze and decided to turn the idler gear with my screw driver to see how it spins,  wouldn't hardly spin, i said ah ha whats wrong here.  well, last year i got a bunch of parts and there seemed to be 20 brass gears just like the one in the 209,   not,  it was the same , but the upper shoulder  was thicker than the origional and was binding on the chrome ring, boy you talk about dumb luck finding something like that, i never would have thought to check that.  like i said i built two reels ,they both had the same problem,  both had different spools, there was side play in the spools ,so thats why i couldn't go with the theory of warped spools. got  lucky.     i want to thank all the members who responded to help me out, thank you very much.  i guess i'll take my dremel and grind or sand the shoulder down so i can use them as they are $8 each  and hopefully when i'm done the slot for the worm gear will still be in tact.   thanks again guys,     harryk

Alto Mare

Way to go Haryy , I never had any doubt about you getting it right ;)
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 06, 2013, 10:17:50 PM
Way to go Haryy , I never had any doubt about you getting it right ;)
Sal

i dunno, sal, i was gettin' a little worried.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Ron Jones

Would have taken me way longer to figure that out. Way to go!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

harryk3616

thanks guys for all the help trying to fix my problem, i reely appreciate it.  it kicked my tush and brain for two days,  but i won,    harryk

Shark Hunter

Its always a pleasure to take a reel apart 10 times on a rebuild. Happens to me now and then. You just have to keep your cool and keep at it. If I find myself getting frustrated, I just walk away for a while.
I had a 4/0 black a couple weeks ago I was doing a custom 5 stack on it. After the 5th or 6th time, I assembled the right side plate and turned it without bolting it to the reel. I had the pinion in backwards! :P
Glad you figured it out Harry! ;D
Life is Good!

harryk3616

thanks   shark hunter        yeah,  now matter how much frustration me might encounter, it still doesn't stop us from playing, just gotta love it.  it's therapy.    harryk

Bunnlevel Sharker

I accidentally cracked a 209 side plate today cause the pinion was in backwards and input it in gear and the old bake lite couldn't take the shock
Grayson Lanier