Help me select a reel. Avet, Release or Canyon?

Started by captainmorgan, August 07, 2013, 12:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainmorgan

I'm looking for a reel for catching kingfish and mako sharks (smaller ones around 5 feet).
I'm not sure what reel to get, my choices are:
- Avet MX ( should I get the magic cast model)?
- Avet JX
- Release SG
- Canyon HS-15

I'm leaning toward to release or canyon as they are lighter and offer more drag power.
Any suggestions?

Bryan Young

release SG is a lot smaller...more like a SX than a MX or JX.  I have one that I'll be doing a tutorial on in a couple of weeks....note, may void warranty though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

captainmorgan

Or should I just go for a Shimano Tyrnos 16 single speed?

bnz

So far I'm loving my Release SG.  I got 480 yds of 55 lb daiwa boat braid on my reel.  With 30+ lbs of drag it may be one of the better choices for you.  :)

captainmorgan

I've decided to go with the Release. Mainly because it's so small and light and offers a lot of drag. It's probably one of the most versatile reels out there.

DaBigOno

Those Release reels are really nice.  I checked out the LG model today at my local tackle shop.  It was light in weight, the gears felt pretty smooth and the handle felt like a glove when gripped.  Priced at $400, it's on par with the rest of um.  The kicker is that the reel comes with a lifetime warranty. 

I couldn't afford it today because I got too many reels in the oven already.  I'm trying to Tank/hot rod my old Squidders, Jigmasters and Senators.   

I definitely gotta get me one of those reels when I'm done with my Penn reels.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

turboal

alantani

what line weight, how much line capacity, how much drag, single speed or two? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!