and the light just went on

Started by mrbrklyn, August 07, 2013, 04:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

After 2 months of steadily working at it, this week, all those years of fishing experience just like, turned back on.  Suddenly casting, feeling the bottom, etc just seemed to turn back on in one stroke, after being off the docks for 10 years.  And I had a massive day on Ocean Eagle and the Marilyn Jean IV.  One the Ocean Eagle I hit the largest Black Sea Bass I'd ever ever ever seen.  I thought it was like a fluke and when I reeled it in, the whole boat sort of gasped and I got a lot of envious stares for the rest of the trip. 

But that was not all.  I hooked and reeled in a frieght train of a Black Fish that would have been abou the heaviest bottom fish I ever hooked, and had to let it go since it was out of season.  The mate on the Ocean eagle took a picture and I'm still waiting for the picture in my email, two days later :(

Added to that was a 21.5 inch fluke, and 5 smaller sea bass, all on porgy hooks, and that was the day trip.  That night I slammed 18 Porgies and Blue Fish.... after about an hour, when my hands just gave out from pain and soarness.

So anyway - what does a 22 inch Black Sea Bass look like?  Well, it looks like this in the Wok

saltydog

Nice going looks like a great day.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Ron Jones

Yummy,
Nothing like when the stars align and everything falls into place.
Good on you!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bluefish69

Mr Bklyn

While you are waiting for your pictures you can stop by the Marilyn Jean IV & get your 7" Dexter Knife. It was in the Galley this morning. We didn't sail today because the weather forcast was not what our passengers wanted. So no one showed up.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

broadway

Mike,
    No one showed up because of the weatherman's bad call... yeah, it's a little breezy, but the sun is still shining! Looks like some ugly clouds to the west, however you could have done a nice morning run. 
PS- I found the mother load of cow nose rays (25-45lbs) 200 yds off Sea Gate Lighthouse yesterday... not fun getting off the hook with that long whiptail.
Do you captain the M.J. or mate on her?
Thanks
Dom

bluefish69

I've been in the galley for 4 yrs on the M J IV & 1 on the Brooklyn VI

You should have cuddled up to the Capt Dave yesterday they had a lot of Big Fluke. My friends kept 9 fish from 4 - 8 1/2 #. Capt. Andrew ran the boat yesterday.

Mike

broadway

Mike,
     I see you out there all the time :o By the sounds of it I should have been near Capt. Dave or my buddy who was fishing near the tug boat channel off Coney Island... 4 keeper fluke up to 21" and a northern puffer that was about 18" (I hear they're tasty):o
I've got a 32' world cat express named "Broadway" (she's the shiny one;) and monitor ch.68 see ya out there!
Tight lines,
Dom

bluefish69

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 08, 2013, 01:14:04 AM
Quote from: bluefish69 on August 07, 2013, 04:30:12 PM
Mr Bklyn

While you are waiting for your pictures you can stop by the Marilyn Jean IV & get your 7" Dexter Knife. It was in the Galley this morning. We didn't sail today because the weather forcast was not what our passengers wanted. So no one showed up.

Mike

Ruben

I won't be on the boat till Monday. Then maybe not till Tuesday. The boat is still out Give it a call if you have the number.

Mike

Mike

Ugg - as soon as I got home I new I left it on the boat and it is so stupid.  And I'll tell you why (besides the obvious).   I left my tackle box home and just took my knife, a crock and my tape measure back with me, and rode my bike back to the bay from Kings Highway.  When I got there, everyone was borrowing my knife, and the night before Georgie used it quite a bit to bleed his fish in the bucket.  I kept reminding everyone, not to lose my 30 dollar fishing knife.  Sure enough, I ended up racking my rods on the boat and left my knife behind!!  I'm so stupid sometimes.

Please secure it.  It might be a few days before I get back to the boat.

Ruben