gear sizing and compatibility

Started by jackor, August 07, 2013, 06:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackor

Is it generally correct to say drive/pinion gears from all abu round reels are compatible and interchangeable as long as they come from another reel from the same size series with the same handle side?   

Keta

I've found that to be true, you have to keep them as a set.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Snagged2

As long as the "vintage" is the same,, ie: an old 5000 will not interchange much of anything with a 5500C3 style..etc..

and,, ie:  and older 7000C3 won't interchange main or pinion with a 7000iC3..

but,, a 5500C3 style reel with 5.3 main and pinion,, will interchange with a 6500 C3 6.3 ratio,, as those reels are basically the same except for the frame and spool width,,
current production,, on the commonly available models..

Check schematics...that will help a lot.

Ken_D

Quote from: jackor on August 07, 2013, 06:59:50 AM
Is it generally correct to say drive/pinion gears from all abu round reels are compatible and interchangeable as long as they come from another reel from the same size series with the same handle side?   

What's been posted. I've come up with a "cheat sheet"....open the drawing for the donor reel, and the receiver reel. Take a look at the driveshafts, and the type of spool... fixed axle, and ultracast. If they are the same,
then the gearsets will swap too. You can go deeper if you want, and look at p/n's for the main and pinion, drag washers, etc.  As Keta inidicated, remember to swap out as a set, to avoid tooth noise, and ratio issues.

An area of concern may be today's pinion for the "6-puck" clutch... it has 4 "catch-slots" cut in it not 2. The pinions of the same ratio will interchange. I did a gear swap for a fellow that wanted the 3.8-1 winch set (now gone obselete) put in his 6-puck 6500. The slow ratio pinon had 2 cuts, and the sport reports back no issues..all is good.

tncathunter

the ultra-cast reels with "ultra cast" cast in the side plates have a pinion gear that is about 2mm shorter than the standard pinions

Ken_D

Quote from: tncathunter on August 09, 2013, 04:07:22 PM
the ultra-cast reels with "ultra cast" cast in the side plates have a pinion gear that is about 2mm shorter than the standard pinions

Good to know....UC gearsets would never interchange with u/c gearsets....the original question is not apples and oranges, but apples to apples. UC spools are set up a lot different with the outboard brgs, than u/c spools.

fisher480

I've swapped a high speed set of gears for a 5.3 to 1 set on an Ultra cast 4600C4 without any problems.

Ken_D

Quote from: fisher480 on August 11, 2013, 11:18:30 AM
I've swapped a high speed set of gears for a 5.3 to 1 set on an Ultra cast 4600C4 without any problems.

I think not....where are your spool bearings... inside the spool, or outside the spool like a Shimano?
Big difference between an Ultra Cast, and an ultracast.

Which see:  http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/4600C4%200701.PDF

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/UC4600C%200600.pdf