ProTecta Lube: Could this be the same stuff as TSI-301?

Started by exp2000, August 07, 2013, 03:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

ProTecta Lube

OK I have been nitpicking over all the posts regarding TSI lubricants.

Now I have been using a product here in Australia that seems to have strangely familiar characteristics and I wonder whether they could in fact be the same stuff? Haven't done any spin tests but I have been using it especially on worm drives because it sets dry.

Would love to hear some opinions from all you experts out there.

Please take the time to watch this video and you will see some pretty amazing stuff:

https://www.sfrcorp.com/product/detail/protecta-spray-lube/

ProTecta Spray Lube is a specially formulated product, where the majority of lubricant applied will actually bond onto the metal. ProTecta is engineered to dry thus minimizing the dust that sticks with the lubricant. Unlike competitive products that leave a heavy wet surface, ProTecta dries leaving a light but strong film.
~

Bryan Young

I've seen that years ago at a trade show.  Unknown if it's the same, but seems effective.  Wonder how well it does with salt water.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

The demonstration reminds me of an instance when an automotive supply saleman went to a friend's shop to demonstrate a "new" lube.  He used the same machine and went through the same demonstration procedure.  His product was superior to the others.  My friend then asked him to put the motor oil that he'd been using on the tester.  The machine did not stop even with all the weights put on, and it exceeded the salesman's product.  He asked what oil it was, and my friend told him it was the store brand from Chinamart.

In all fairness, motor oils have to deal with a combination of factors that other oils do not.  For example, combustion byproducts that break down oils, high heat, carbon that's already in the engine and contaminate engine oil, etc.  Lubrication is important, but it's not the only issue that has to be addressed.  No testing was done on the other factors and it's possible that the Chinamart oil would not stand up to high heat, or combustion byproduct effects, for example.

In another instance, I watched a TV commercial for another product and they tested similar products (engine oil additives).  The other products made a big deal over the lubrication properties so that was the only thing being challenged and, I think using that same machine may have been appropriate for that property only.

I'd like to see the test done on TSI 301 and 321. 

All kind of lubricants are made, and they are generally made to fit a certain set of criteria.  I think 301 and 321 were made for aerospace applications so maybe lubrication at subzero temps was an important factor.  Fortunately, most of us do not experience such conditions while fishing.  Anyway, I think a bit of probing might uncover who produces Protecta and whether it's just a brand name for 301 or 321.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

call and ask, because he could double his sales if it is!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thedw

very cool!!! let keep us all in the loop! :)

the only bad thing abt TSI in my opinion is its accessibility!
HAHAHA

exp2000

???  Come on all you grease monkey geniuses. Pickup the ball and run with it.

Don't just watch the video - read the spiel and follow the link. This stuff looks like it's made in America not Australia.

I have worked out that it is a thin film lubricant that penetrates and bonds to metal just like TSI.

Maybe someone more cluey than me could compare the MSDS for the two and arrive at some conclusions or actually buy a bottle and do some comparative testing. It ain't expensive afterall.

If this stuff is the same, it could be the answer for a lot of people who are having trouble getting TSI?

Reckon it's gotta be worth a look!
~

exp2000

ProTecta Spray Lube

Dries.
Once sprayed on, ProTecta Spray Lube dries leaving a water resistant, long lasting, non-sticky, dust-free film that does not build up over time.

Protects.
Once applied ProTecta Spray Lube drives moisture from the surface. When it dries it leaves a protective film that separates the surface from the moisture in the environment.

Cleans.
Use ProTecta spray lube to clean gum, tar and oily residue from surfaces. Simply ProTecta on, give it a few minutes to go to work and wipe it off for a clean surface!

Any of this sound familiar to all you TSI buffs? The similarities just seem to be too many.
~

Makule

Even if it's not the same stuff, if it works the same (effectiveness) isn't the practical difference only in the name?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

exp2000

Yeah well that's what I am thinking Makule.

Would be good to get some expert appraisal from the big guns though.

Especially as regards free-spool times and longevity.
~

wallacewt

hi exp2000
that guy has got a GM shirt on
it maybe a coincidence but did you buy yours
from REPCO.

exp2000

Nah. Got mine at the tackle shop. They were raving about it so gave it a try.
~

JGB

Have not tried the stuff. Being a good anti gall ( this what the machine is testing -  transfer of material with friction) does not necessarily make a lubricant or protectant a good product for fishing reels. We also need water proofness (does not wash off with repeated water spray), compatibility with salt water, compatibility with the types of metals used in reels, long lasting resistance to chemical breakdown over time, resistance to Ozone, and UV, does not thicken with time and so on.
I have used and tested a product called AVlube (used in aircraft engines to prevent startup wear) and it worked really well and boosted properties similar to those advertized with ProTecta. It even produced superior free spool spin to TSI. But it was flawed because it was made from a super fractionated mineral oil (made up of very small molecules) that would permeate the metal pores. the fact that it was based on dyno oil made it effective for 6 months or less once exposed to air. I would oxidize and thicken (like WD40 does).

The only and best way is to do test with reels over time and to also test treated open bearings  with saltwater submersion (repeated submersion's over several weeks or months). See what the results and trade offs are and then assess  how best to use the product.

TSI is not perfect but it's 5year+ life, compatibility with salt water, ability to not collect dust, being inert and not evaprative out weighs it's draw backs that mainly being that it is not compatible with most greases and has to be order from the manufacture. the only reason I found this product was because I was searching for a thin film lubricant used to lubricate the disk platter surfaces in disk drives that was affordable and easy to use. TSI filled a niche market for Aerospace Satellite and camera shutter manufactures (very specialized). The air rifle and small arms community discovered TSI's protective qualities  (non dust collecting anti rust wipe down) and TSI responded with 301 solvent so they could use it inside the barrels to both clean and protect (that is where I first encountered it.

Bottom line be willing to try everything because you never know where the gems are hiding amongst the rubble. Advertizing and hype are just that - real life testing is what really matters when it comes to long term protection in harsh conditions and reels are that way. Both in reel design, materials and servicing.

Keep up the good work and keep searching for that Holy Grail,
Jim N.

exp2000

MSDS:
ProTecta Spay Lube:    Solvent = White Spirits /Naphtha (Solvent)

Protecta needle oiler:
Component  Hydrotreated Light Naphthenic Oil 64742-53-6 5 mg/m
Dispersant Additive in Severely Hydrotreated 64742-54-7 5 mg/m

Polyolester Hydrocarbon

TSI 301:    Solvent = Methyl Chloroform (Degreaser)

TSI 321:    Ingredients: Barium Compounds 0.2% by weight