112h 3/0 no drag after rebuild

Started by fishingzach, August 07, 2013, 04:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishingzach

I bought a 3/0 and it had no drag pressure whatsoever. First ever reel to disassemble...bought new drag washers 6-309 3+1. Getting absolutely no drag pressure after the rebuild too. Used cals grease and cut down the +1 CFdrag washer. The only 2 funky things when rebuilding following the 111senator rebuild was the eccentric jack was a little different(but freespool works well) and when installing the spacer sleeve barely any thread stuck out past it and was hard to get the star drag to thread on. Once i got it seemed to work. The reel turns, freespools, etc fine but cant turn with the slightest amount of pressure on the spool (which is anodized aluminum). Any ideas for what to look for would be great . If pictures are needed just tell me of what and I will post them ASAP. Looking to get this reel going for a Gulf trip 8/16!!

Thanks for all the help found at this board yall rock

RowdyW

The earred washer slipped out of the main gear & is resting on top of the edge of the main gear. That is why the spacer sleeve will not go on all the way. Try spinning the handle a little with the drag on lightly & it may drop in. If not you will have to disassemble it again.    Rudy

Bill B

What RW said... :D   If you open it up you might want to check to top eared washer to ensure the ears  haven't been bent or broken..
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Also, make sure the pinion gear is not upside down. The notched side should be facing toward the spool.
Life is Good!

fishingzach

I appreciate the responses. Seems I was wrong about no drag. There is definitely drag being produced when i grab the pinion gear  I can feel the different drag tensions...so thats not the problem. The problem seems to be the spool. The axle, shaft or whatever it is called that runs through the spool for it to spin on turns freely without the actual aluminum spool part spinning. With any small amount of tension the spool stops spinning and the shaft spins freely.

This seems wrong to me but I also lack more than a basic understanding of reels. Please tell me what you think.

THANKS!

RowdyW

It seems like it's time for a new spool.

fishingzach

is there any way to glue/epoxy it maybe? Its an aluminum spool and sure seems like a lot of money to replace on a cheap reel.  Any way to rebuild it? what holds it from spinning on that shaft anyways?

Alto Mare

How did you come to that conclusion, did you remove the spool from the reel? did you hold the spool shaft with your middle finger and thumb and try to spin the spool?
The spool needs to come out of the reel to confirm. If it is loose you might need a new spool, as Rudy mentioned.
Make sure first, if it is so, maybe Keta could help securing it, but I'm not sure.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

fishingzach

yes spool came out and freely spun while both sides of the shaft were secured. Checked it next to buddys jigmaster; spool definitely bad. How could Keta possibly fix it? is there something I can solder or braze together there?? After i bought drag washers and a new side plate with a newspool im looking at a 70$ 112h...a little pricey for this little feller. thinking of parting it out havent decided yet.

Alto Mare

70 dollars isn't bad, it is a shame that the spool is shot but that's what we get at times.
I've never experienced that on mine and I had many many Penn's :-\, you happen to be the unlucky one.
If I had one I would have send it to you.
About fixing that spool, Lee ( Keta ) could probably drill through the spool and shaft  and install a couple of ss pins , but as I said above, I'm not sure. He'll probably chime in and let us know.
There might be other options, lots of smart members here. I don't happen to be one of them ;D
Good luck! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishingzach

went ahead and ordered a new one, but Im hanging onto this old aluminum one in case i ever figure out how to fix it or someone here has an awesome idea. 70$ ain't bad but i havent even upgraded to SS gear and the 5+1 stack. Oh well good drag washers, new parts and this reel should last a good amount of time  now i just need someone to take me king trolling!!

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 11, 2013, 10:50:34 PM
About fixing that spool, Lee ( Keta ) could probably drill through the spool and shaft  and install a couple of ss pins , but as I said above, I'm not sure. He'll probably chime in and let us know.

That can be done.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

If it was mine I would have pinned the spool and shaft. But I'm cheap (thrifty).  ;D   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

fishingzach

hmm never thought about that but it seems like it should work out without too much trouble. Need to get my hands on a drill press. Do you think I should put in a pin with some epoxy and grind it flush with the spool or put in a cotter pin or clip of some sort?

Zach